So I got a DW9000 single pedal

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Yes a strap drive is smoother, no chain links to roll through, yet prone to stretch overtime and lose its elasticity.
A chain is less smooth as it’s more rigid.

Direct drive linkage is where it’s at - you know Pearl has those demonators.
Oh yeah. I had one. With all the adjustments available to me, I laughed when I made it feel exactly like my old strap-driven Camco.

Ransan

Oh yeah. I had one. With all the adjustments available to me, I laughed when I made it feel exactly like my old strap-driven Camco.
The demonator direct drive or the 9000? Both are laughable to recreate, but that’s your comfort feel, so I get it. Did you set the springs loose as hell and the beater to light to comp control/feathering? 😝 just kidding.
If you configured the demonator direct drive link to feel like a strap that is a feat.

The only mod I did was the longboard.
I’m not fine tuning my way out of this pedal.

Last edited:

thebarak

Man this is a tough subject, and a subjective subject! I have self-imposed a ban on trying to improve my pedal. I tend to like light, simple, fast pedals, yet here I am with a Tama Speedcobra as big as a tricycle. So, I bought this giant lump of steel because I needed a pedal with a footplate for a strange kick trigger I was trying out at the time. I had been quite happy with the entry level Yamaha pedal up until that day.

I physically went to a Guitar Center and played all their pedals, and on that day, at that time, the SpeedCobra felt faster than the DW9000. But for all I know that demo model of the DW9000 might have been sabotaged, because, Guitar Center has a problem with jerks coming in and ruining all settings on their stock.

But anyway, the Speedcobra lives up to its name and it is very fast, but I fancy something ultra light again, with a rounder cam, and direct drive, but anything that has a solid linkage costs twice as much as anything with a chain because it is trendy. So I try to keep my mind off it and I hire an off-duty Olympic weightlifter to carry my stupid pedal around for me, in its even more enormous plastic case.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
The demonator direct drive or the 9000? Both are laughable to recreate, but that’s your comfort feel, so I get it. Did you set the springs loose as hell and the beater to light to comp control/feathering? 😝 just kidding.
If you configured the demonator direct drive link to feel like a strap that is a feat.

The only mod I did was the longboard.
I’m not fine tuning my way out of this pedal.
The Pearl Demon Drive (I think I’ve tried everybody’s high end pedal so far). Right out of the box I knew it wouldn’t feel right, so with the manual in hand, I started experimenting and was so happy I could adjust it to my liking. That’s when I discovered I had Camco’d that $300+ pedal. Then I discovered I Camco’d all the high end pedals I’ve had. So for a time after the Pearl, I went back to my Tama Flexi-Flyer from 1978. Then I de-modified my chained 5000s, and now here I am, with the ultimate Camco pedal ever. I could’ve saved ALOT of money over the last 15 years 😕

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Man this is a tough subject, and a subjective subject! I have self-imposed a ban on trying to improve my pedal. I tend to like light, simple, fast pedals, yet here I am with a Tama Speedcobra as big as a tricycle. So, I bought this giant lump of steel because I needed a pedal with a footplate for a strange kick trigger I was trying out at the time. I had been quite happy with the entry level Yamaha pedal up until that day.

I physically went to a Guitar Center and played all their pedals, and on that day, at that time, the SpeedCobra felt faster than the DW9000. But for all I know that demo model of the DW9000 might have been sabotaged, because, Guitar Center has a problem with jerks coming in and ruining all settings on their stock.

But anyway, the Speedcobra lives up to its name and it is very fast, but I fancy something ultra light again, with a rounder cam, and direct drive, but anything that has a solid linkage costs twice as much as anything with a chain because it is trendy. So I try to keep my mind off it and I hire an off-duty Olympic weightlifter to carry my stupid pedal around for me, in its even more enormous plastic case.
Too bad you didn’t just charge both pedals to a card and tried them both out at home. I think you would’ve laughed too had you made them feel like your old Yamaha. In fact, my back up pedal is a Yamaha strap drive (FP6110) and I love that one just as much. So when I go out I’ll have both and decide which one to use. But the 9000 stuff gets the nod because I know nothing will break during the gig 😉

thebarak

Too bad you didn’t just charge both pedals to a card and tried them both out at home. I think you would’ve laughed too had you made them feel like your old Yamaha. In fact, my back up pedal is a Yamaha strap drive (FP6110) and I love that one just as much. So when I go out I’ll have both and decide which one to use. But the 9000 stuff gets the nod because I know nothing will break during the gig 😉
Well, here we are a week later and as usual this forum made me buy something new. I am trying out the Sonor Jojo Mayer Standard Pedal now. First impressions are very good. I need to get used to it with a good practice session because it does feel quite different. This is the new non-folding version that goes onto the hoop like any other pedal. They got rid of the reported rattles that original had at the heel hinge.

mrfingers

Easy to convert a Speed Cobra...don’t get the Kevlar strap.

TJK

You want the eliminator redline.

notvinnie

You want the eliminator redline.
I've been tempted to try that, but I'm really surprised that they don't put any protective coating (rubber, or something) where the pedal makes contact with the bass drum hoop.

TJK

I've been tempted to try that, but I'm really surprised that they don't put any protective coating (rubber, or something) where the pedal makes contact with the bass drum hoop.
Yeah I usually have a leather patch on mine. Anyway if you can’t get the pedal to feel right you haven’t adjusted it enough. I love tinkering with all the cams and settings; there is no pedal as adjustable as this

notvinnie

I tried to disconnect the chain to install a toestop but can't get the screw to loosen up. Anyone having an experience with that?
DW screws/bolts are notorious for being difficult to remove. They use Loctite on them. You have to use a hair dryer to heat/warm them up, and then you may have better luck loosening them. Personally, I was never able to get any bolts out of a DW pedal.

Last edited: