So I did it

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
I know what you're thinking he's got more cajones than brains, but it seemed to work.

I have a second set of hihats, that I play on hihat arm. I paired a 15" A crash with a 15" zildjian cymbal of unknown design. The latter cymbal I picked up at music store cheap, it was a thicker/stiffer/flatter cymbal. Sounded kind of like a bell or very small ride. The music store guy figured it was an old clash cymbal, to me it looked like a larger cymbal that had been lathed down, maybe after an edge crack. Used it as a high pitch ride for a while, before I decided to try to pair it with the crash.

The pair worked out pretty well the bottom one had the sustain and the top one had the character, I could adjust them with the stand to either get a simmery ride sound, or a ticky closed sound, or open it up and use it as a crash. However, I have been on a tuning kick, so I got to thinking. I bet hihats are pitched tuned to each other. I got my zildjian 14 A's out and set them on the carpet and sure enough. ding...ding same note(the top one sounded crashy, and the bottom one sounded ridy, but the same note), then my two mismatched hihats. dang ...deeng HMMM. so I started playing around, and it seems I could bend the heavier cymbals down to the crash with a carefully placed finger or two.

About fifteen minutes later I had a pair of matched tone cymbals :). Having read that you can lower the pitch/darken/add character to a cymbal by hammering on the inside of a cymbal where you would place your finger, I went out and got my claw hammer and a block of wood... Sure enough, lowered the pitch just enough, those wincy overtones are gone, and both closed and semi-open sounds are much more similar to the 14's just overall lower pitch.