So - I cleaned my 22" Kerope...

BachBeat

...the very thing they forbid you to do.

And...

It's really something special.

Check it out! Remind you of anything?

DISCLAIMER - Zildjian strictly advises against this. This forum post is the end result of my decision to go against the recommended treatment of this cymbal. Your subsequent choices are your responsibility ;)

Attachments

• Kerope Clean.jpg
    Kerope Clean.jpg
    463.6 KB · Views: 936
Looks good to me, why aren't you suppose to clean it, very strange. Some clean regularly, some not at all and some like me maybe once every 10 yrs. there is no right or wrong.

It reminds me of a hand hammered ride cymbal, a nice one.

All Keropes come with a special patina to 'pre-age' the cymbal, so that it sounds like an Old K sounds today. Part of Zildjian's marketing.

I cleaned it, and it sounds very similar to the Old K sound (and look), when we listen to them played by Max, Elvin and Tony. They weren't covered in patina back then - especially Elvin's. That cat loved clean cymbals :)

I've got to hand it to Zildjian... I'm quite sure they're not 100% hand made, but they're possibly the best 'Old K' cymbal that involves machines and high volume production techniques going around.

Looks wonderful. Did you seal it after it was clean, or are you hoping to develop a patina over the next year?

Probably just let it go now for a while and see how the sound changes. If it tightens up too much, I'll re-clean and seal.

The biggest change (aside from visual) is that the frequency spectrum has grown (more highs and more lows), while the stick is still woody and tasty. I much prefer it to the original Kerope patina, but it may be just novelty at this stage :)

Well I cleaned my 60s and 70s Zildjians last weekend after getting a couple of crashes off Clist. Just cleaning dirt off with Dawn dish (washing up) liquid. I inherited them and they were just plain dirty, dusty, and I'm sure they had some nicotine funk mixed in there too. Used a strong mix of the Dawn and let it sit on there for a few. Used a pretty worn cheap Scotch Brite type pad that in no way would scratch anything.

So with my new (to me) 16' Paiste or Sabian crash, it's like I have all new cymbals. A pretty noticeable transformation. Pretty much as BachBeat wrote; more highs and lows, along with easier response to the stick with less effort.

I'll never polish them. That can get pretty controversial. But I do recommend that everybody keep their cymbals clean.

And whoever mentioned it on here to give me the idea. Thanks.

Used a pretty worn cheap Scotch Brite type pad that in no way would scratch anything.

The regular strength Mr. Clean "Magic Eraser" is also a good compromise for a micro-abrasive that cleans metal. I tend to not recommend them because the extra-strength ones (and some of the generics) are infused with solvents, and it's too easy to get the wrong type.

Yep - there's plenty of great cleaner options out there. I find that the groove juice cleans very well, but as is often the case, the cymbals are very prone to fingerprints when they are first cleaned.

I think that, for some drummers, there is a real *clean cymbals* mindset that goes way beyond the actual cleaning process. Microfibre cloths, wool-lined bags, even gloves... Keeping them as clean and fingerprint free. Individual preference, I suppose :)

My motivation here was just to see what the cymbal could do underneath the factory patina. I really appreciate the effect that Zildjian have achieved with this Kerope patina, but there's something special about hearing that clean metal sing. The cymbal can do so much more now.

Also - in listening to the cymbals over the last I think the Keropes don't quite make it all the way to that 'Old K' sound that people generally think of. I think that this particular cymbal (one of the darker/trashier I've heard in the Kerope line) sits between an Old A and an Old K. FWIW.

So how's the Kerope working out, 12 months after the groove juice? Very interested as I'm considering doing the same. Thanks.

Wow looks similar to my K Con ride which I also cleaned with a Zildjian cleaner.

Attachments

• IMG_0189.jpeg
    IMG_0189.jpeg
    303.8 KB · Views: 364
LOL, Yes hammering and lathed differently. I bought the cymbal new and it came looking like someone soaked it in a mix of Baking soda and Comet. I couldn't stand it-after paying so much for the damn thing I wanted to show off a sparkling cymbal so I cleaned it. Afterwards I wondered if I should have left well enough alone. I'd never cleaned a cymbal before.

I made this comment before, but that Kerope still looks astonishingly like my Istanbul Agop Traditionals. Without the logos or stamp, I don't think you could tell the difference.

The lathing reminds me of the 22 Dark Medium:

22-K-Zildjian-Dark-Medium-Rides-1.png

Back