So I bought an Acrolite.

Despite the fact I tend to dislike the sound of metal snares, I picked up an Acro off CL today. I figured I could try out a well regarded metal snare for cheap and maybe learn to love one.

A short drive and $75 later, I have a seemingly very good condition Acro and hard plastic case. The seller said it was a 1960's era, but I can't tell. It will need both heads replaced but I don't think I did too bad.

I've looked at the Ludwig serial number page, but can't make heads or tails of it for some reason. It has the Blue/Olive badge, black faced P85 and round control knob. Number is 1963588.

Can someone date it and tell me if the parts are likely original?

Thanks.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Despite the fact I tend to dislike the sound of metal snares, I picked up an Acro off CL today. I figured I could try out a well regarded metal snare for cheap and maybe learn to love one.

A short drive and $75 later, I have a seemingly very good condition Acro and hard plastic case. The seller said it was a 1960's era, but I can't tell. It will need both heads replaced but I don't think I did too bad.

I've looked at the Ludwig serial number page, but can't make heads or tails of it for some reason. It has the Blue/Olive badge, black faced P85 and round control knob. Number is 1963588.

Can someone date it and tell me if the parts are likely original?

Thanks.
Does the badge have pointed corners or rounded?

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Yea, yours is probably mid 70's. I have a rounded corner B/O badge which comes a little later, late 70's until early 80's. It's a great snare drum. Hope you enjoy it!

KamaK

Platinum Member
When I got my Acrolite, I dressed it up with stock parts.

LW3314 (Snare Batter Medium Coated)
C1114 (Snare Resonant Head Clear Xthin)
L1930 (20 Strand Snare Wires)

It sounded wonderful. I hope you find yours performs well.

Peace, love, and goodwill.

When I got my Acrolite, I dressed it up with stock parts.

LW3314 (Snare Batter Medium Coated)
C1114 (Snare Resonant Head Clear Xthin)
L1930 (20 Strand Snare Wires)

It sounded wonderful. I hope you find yours performs well.

Peace, love, and goodwill.
I'll likely do the same at least to start. Do I source these directly from Ludwig?

Can anyone advise on the best method to safely clean the shell of dirt and grime and the chrome lugs of small spots of corrosion?

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I have a Supra, pointy B/O badges, S/N 1833881. It's somewhere near 1979 as best I can tell. Your S/N is higher, it could be one of the last years of that pointy badge era.

With metal snares, the sound doesn't really change like a wood drum. Still, I'd agree with Pocket and put it at 79 or so. Ludwig serial numbers are well known to NOT be in perfect chronological order.

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
At $75 with a case, you won. It will serve you well. Let us know if it changes your mind about metal snares.

As far as cleaning, I think soap and water for the shell, chrome polish for the lugs. Buff with SOFT cloth.

steadypocket

Gold Member
At $75 with a case, you won. It will serve you well. Let us know if it changes your mind about metal snares.

As far as cleaning, I think soap and water for the shell, chrome polish for the lugs. Buff with SOFT cloth.
Congrats on your snare and enjoy it. Sounds like a great deal. If in the end, this doesn't turn out to be your cup of tea, don't use the Acro as the litmus test for whether you like metal snares. It would be akin to deciding you didn't like pizza because you tried a Chicago slice of deep dish, without ever trying a slice from New York.

Thanks for the input everyone! Right now the Acro is completely stripped down for a detailed cleaning and the stock heads and wires are on order.

Thunder 42

Silver Member
Thanks for the input everyone! Right now the Acro is completely stripped down for a detailed cleaning and the stock heads and wires are on order.
I restored my '74 1-1/2 yrs ago after decades of barn grime, bird droppings, and general neglect in storage. This was my first snare and the sound is great like I remembered.