so did camco drums make cymbals?

robyn64

can't find any info on them, am thinking probly not. so if not was there a particular kind that was most used with camco kits. i like the ones i have but am kinda looking for something with a different sound like with the camcos having a sound of their own. any one got any suggestions?

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
No. Kit and cymbals are not "matched".

There is no correlation between the sound of a kit and sound of a cymbal. The only cymbals that a Camco kit sounds best with are the cymbals that sound best to you.

MikeM

Platinum Member
Camco made drums before Sabian became a company and before Zildjian started producing Ks in North America (there was relatively small Turkish cymbal presence back then), so drummers fell into roughly two camps: those who played Zildjian (Avedis) and those who played Paiste (mostly 2oo2s, but a smattering of 602s, Giant Beats, and Sound Creations). Zildjian was the more dominant in terms of market share. I don't know what that was but if we make an assumption that Zildjian had 70% of the market, then I'd hazard to guess that Camco drummers were something very close to that.

As Pocket said, there is no relationship between the drum mfr and cymbal mfr.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
You'll want to find some vintage A. Zildjian cymbals - find 'em thin, then you'll be stylin'!

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Years ago,the big 3 drum companys did sell and act as a distributor for various cymbal makers.Ludwig sold Paiste,and years before,sold K Zildjian,and Zenjian cymbals,Slingerland sold A Zildjian,and Gretsch owned the rights to K Zildjians.But none of these cymbals were designed to the played with any particular brand of drums.Currently,there are about 20 different brands of cymbals being sold in the US.

I would just start by visiting a 5 star drum shop,and start listening to used,and new cymbals.Like PFOG said,the sound is whats important.Buy with your ears.Camcos are great drums,where were yours made?

Steve B

robyn64

You'll want to find some vintage A. Zildjian cymbals - find 'em thin, then you'll be stylin'!
thanks bo, i think you are right, i think that is what i am looking for. the cymbals i have are zeldjians but they are Zs (i think) anyway the 19" has a big z on it and also has rock crash cymbal.jpg
the 16" has ZBT and says crash/ride and the high hats say the same, zbt, and are 13" and they both have the lit'l dimples on them like the 19", don't have a clear photo of them to show ya. anyway i want something not as loud but don't want no "sissy" cymbals either, lol. would the As be what i am looking for? oh and btw checked out some of your vids on youtube and really liked, you're pretty good :)

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
A Zildjian's are a very versitile sounding cymbal. They work well across a wide range of playing applications.

The Z Custom you own is a very loud and obnoxious mother. Great for a hard hitting loud rock band in full flight, but not so good when more subtlety is required. Z Custom's excell at one volume and that's full boar........they like to be played hard in order to get them to open up. They're quite "gongy" and can be unmusical when played lightly. The ZBT's you have are entry level cymbals.

A's will give a more pleasant and musical tone at all playing dynamics.

robyn64

Years ago,the big 3 drum companys did sell and act as a distributor for various cymbal makers.Ludwig sold Paiste,and years before,sold K Zildjian,and Zenjian cymbals,Slingerland sold A Zildjian,and Gretsch owned the rights to K Zildjians.But none of these cymbals were designed to the played with any particular brand of drums.Currently,there are about 20 different brands of cymbals being sold in the US.

I would just start by visiting a 5 star drum shop,and start listening to used,and new cymbals.Like PFOG said,the sound is whats important.Buy with your ears.Camcos are great drums,where were yours made?

Steve B[/QUOTE

thanks steve, i'm going to guitar center this weekend and gonna check out a few things for my kit, i think i'd like to try the As bo mentioned, (what do you think?) take a look at the reply i did to his post above. i like those cymbals but they are not what i really want on my kit. i like to play the old county music (Hank Sr) and some classic rock (CCR) so want something suitable for both.
my kit is from Oak Lawn, IL.emblem.jpg and i think they are from the early yrs at oak lawn not totally sure tho, and would like to find out.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
thanks bo, i think you are right, i think that is what i am looking for. the cymbals i have are zeldjians but they are Zs (i think) anyway the 19" has a big z on it and also has rock crash View attachment 50292
the 16" has ZBT and says crash/ride and the high hats say the same, zbt, and are 13" and they both have the lit'l dimples on them like the 19", don't have a clear photo of them to show ya. anyway i want something not as loud but don't want no "sissy" cymbals either, lol. would the As be what i am looking for? oh and btw checked out some of your vids on youtube and really liked, you're pretty good :)
Oh dear, lose those Z's! Musical only for the heavy rock crowd. But if you're out shopping for used, make sure you can hear them first. I've been lucky on eBay a few times, but I have friends who were very unlucky buying used online. Good luck out there!

A

Anthony Amodeo

Oh dear, lose those Z's! Musical only for the heavy rock crowd. But if you're out shopping for used, make sure you can hear them first. I've been lucky on eBay a few times, but I have friends who were very unlucky buying used online. Good luck out there!

agreed

the Z series is possibly the worst sounding cymbal ever made

they are about a half inch thick and are loud and obnoxious

robyn64

agreed

they are about a half inch thick and are loud and obnoxious
i agree with you guys, they are loud and are not for me at all, you think maybe i could get a good trade for them? would love to find some one with what i want that would trade even up.

robyn64

yep Bo, buying online can go both ways, when it's good, it's good but when it's bad it seams to always be real bad. can you give me an idea on what the cost would be to purchase the As you mentioned earlier? i think they are what i am looking for.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
yep Bo, buying online can go both ways, when it's good, it's good but when it's bad it seams to always be real bad. can you give me an idea on what the cost would be to purchase the As you mentioned earlier? i think they are what i am looking for.
I got lucky on a 1970s A Zildjian 20" Light Ride, even luckier that the guy was local so I went by his place and played it a bit. He was totally accurate about how it sounded and it sounded very much like the soundfile he posted. I paid $125. I also scored a nice 1970s pair of A. Zildjian 14" Quick Beat hi hats for $120. Another scored was a 1980s 18" China Type Low that I paid $85 for. But my current ride and crashes I bought new back in the early 90s and I still use them: A Zildjian 17 and 18 thin crashes, and a K Zildjian K Custom Dark ride (20").

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Wash your mouth out! There's an entire company called Sabian remember.......

[God this is not nearly as much fun without Sticks' cage to rattle. Still, he'll be back so I'll leave it up.]

and are loud and obnoxious
Yeah baby!!

Seriously, they're one trick ponies.....but man I loved that one trick when I needed it.

robyn64

I got lucky on a 1970s A Zildjian 20" Light Ride, even luckier that the guy was local so I went by his place and played it a bit. He was totally accurate about how it sounded and it sounded very much like the soundfile he posted. I paid $125. I also scored a nice 1970s pair of A. Zildjian 14" Quick Beat hi hats for $120. Another scored was a 1980s 18" China Type Low that I paid $85 for. But my current ride and crashes I bought new back in the early 90s and I still use them: A Zildjian 17 and 18 thin crashes, and a K Zildjian K Custom Dark ride (20").
ok so are these the cymbals that you used in those vids on youtube? i really liked the sound of that whole kit, i really want to stick with only 2 cymbals and the high hats (of corse) a ride and a crash is really all i need. my drumming is pretty much for my entertainment only, trust me, lol. i mainly just want a nice, light sounding drum set my grandson can learn on and for me to play a bit too, then when he gets older and chooses the type of music/sound that he perfers then he can make it that way.

robyn64

Wash your mouth out! There's an entire company called Sabian remember.......

[God this is not nearly as much fun without Sticks' cage to rattle. Still, he'll be back so I'll leave it up.]

Yeah baby!!

Seriously, they're one trick ponies.....but man I loved that one trick when I needed it.
where is the like button for this post...lol

and who is this Sticks guy i keep hearing about? he doesn't by any chance shoot mathews bows too does he? and can i rattle his cage too? sounds like fun. :)

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
ok so are these the cymbals that you used in those vids on youtube? i really liked the sound of that whole kit, i really want to stick with only 2 cymbals and the high hats (of corse) a ride and a crash is really all i need. my drumming is pretty much for my entertainment only, trust me, lol. i mainly just want a nice, light sounding drum set my grandson can learn on and for me to play a bit too, then when he gets older and chooses the type of music/sound that he perfers then he can make it that way.
Wow. You watched the vids? Thanks for taking the time. I appreciate it!

Well, the Light Ride did not make it on the videos. I always seem to use my K Custom for that, and I too, like the clean set-up of just two cymbals and hats. But lately I've been using both my 17 and 18 since I'm kinda in a big band setting for now. The hats in the videos were New Beats, I just recently started using the QuickBeats, I like them both.

robyn64

Wow. You watched the vids? Thanks for taking the time. I appreciate it!

Well, the Light Ride did not make it on the videos. I always seem to use my K Custom for that, and I too, like the clean set-up of just two cymbals and hats. But lately I've been using both my 17 and 18 since I'm kinda in a big band setting for now. The hats in the videos were New Beats, I just recently started using the QuickBeats, I like them both.
yep watched 3 or 4 of them, and enjoyed them all, you're pretty good. i like your style.
and thanks for your time too bo, i appreciate it too.

so if i was to sell the Zs what would be a fair price (for both parties) to ask? would i be better to sell seperate or as a set?

Last edited:

tamadrm

Platinum Member
I think between A Zildjians,and Paiste Giant beats or 2002's you should get the sound you're looking for.Sabian AA's are also great sounding cymbals that should work with classic rock.It's funny that you play the Camco's,because thats what Doug Clifford played while he was with CCR.He also used 16 and 18" hats on occasion.

Steve B

robyn64

I think between A Zildjians,and Paiste Giant beats or 2002's you should get the sound you're looking for.Sabian AA's are also great sounding cymbals that should work with classic rock.It's funny that you play the Camco's,because thats what Doug Clifford played while he was with CCR.He also used 16 and 18" hats on occasion.

Steve B
yep steve, was like, wow cool, when i read that doug used camco drums. ccr is one of my favs, john is the bomb, lol.
thanks for the suggestions of cymbals,am very curious about the A Zildjians, i think i want to look into them a lit'l more.