So, 40° heat in the UK, and it's the end of the world

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbphoto

Diamond Member
We do have ground-source heat pumps in the UK (went to look at a house down the road with one recently) but they're very expensive. They're probably the way of the future along with air-source (we don't get nearly cold enough most of the time for these to be limited) but they're definitely not mainstream yet.
They’re expensive due to the installation, which requires either a very deep dig (for a vertical system) or a large broad dig 6’+ below the surface (for a horizontal system).

Their shortcoming is: they do not dehumidify. Therefore, if the house is kept at, say, 24˚C it will feel a bit muggy. Plus, if the coolant is coming out of the ground at 18˚C it must be heated up to the temperature desired in the house (to do that, our system uses the water from the hot water heater, which I think is brilliant). After 4 summers in this home, I have learned to drop the house temp to 18˚C (the temperature of the coolant coming in from underground) at night, and let the house gradually warm up to 22˚C during the day. The system comes on only a couple times in the late afternoon/early evening.

Regarding the downside of no dehumidification: the bathroom vent in our basement bathroom drips condensation which builds up in the vent duct (where cold air contacts warm humid air). I spent an entire summer looking for leaky pipes. 😤

In the wintertime, it basically sits idle. We use liquid propane and a standard forced-air furnace to heat the home. We have a 1000 gal. tank outside the home and when LP prices are low (early- to mid-summer) I buy an entire year’s supply. This way, I’m not stung by high prices in the winter. It’s delivered whenever my tank gets to 30% capacity by some of the friendliest people I’ve ever met.

someguy01

Platinum Member
We do have ground-source heat pumps
All that unit would need is a reversing valve installed and voila! AC.

Heat pumps and AC are the exact same units, it's just about the direction the refrigerant flows.

someguy01

Platinum Member
Anyone suggesting a swamp cooler, it won't work. Swamp coolers lose almost all efficiency once the humidity rises above 30%.
There are piggy back units sold in the southwest of America (AC and swamp cooler together) that has a wet bulb that determines switch over from one cooling source to the other. Also, very expensive.
While I can empathize that 104 is hot for the UK, for those of us in desert areas, this is just regular old summer.

someguy01

Platinum Member
Exactly. And exactly why I'm a big fan (pardon the pun) of air-source pumps. Technology Connections has done some brilliant videos on them:

Those ductless splits are the bee's knees. So efficient and so easy to install and maintain.

wraub

Gold Member
Is it as humid, though? I've been to Nevada in the summer, but it wasn't so bad because the air was dry.

Where I am (Sonoran Desert region) the temperature can exceed 120 degrees F, but on those days the humidity is usually around 15-18%. Not very humid- when you go outside it's like opening the oven door when you're baking, and that blast of nothing but heat comes out and meets you as you lean in to check the food. It's just hot, but there's so much of it.

eric_B

Over here in The Netherlands it was around 39C today.
Yesterday it was 30C, tomorrow there will be showers around 30C and on Thursday it is 22C again.
So one hot day, we will survive.

GretschedHive

Silver Member
Where I am (Sonoran Desert region) the temperature can exceed 120 degrees F, but on those days the humidity is usually around 15-18%. Not very humid- when you go outside it's like opening the oven door when you're baking, and that blast of nothing but heat comes out and meets you as you lean in to check the food. It's just hot, but there's so much of it.
When I drove from the east coast to SoCal one July about 15 years ago, I stopped in Arizona after not having taken a break for nearly 400 miles. I stepped out of the air-conditioned car and it felt like someone punched me in the chest. Turns out I hadn't noticed that it was about 115f/46c and just...wow.

wraub

Gold Member
When I drove from the east coast to SoCal one July about 15 years ago, I stopped in Arizona after not having taken a break for nearly 400 miles. I stepped out of the air-conditioned car and it felt like someone punched me in the chest. Turns out I hadn't noticed that it was about 115f/46c and just...wow.
This is summer in AZ. Fortunately, there's only about 9 months of it. :D

edit- actually pretty cool atm

1658259480429.png

Status
Not open for further replies.