Not open for further replies.

Ghostin one

I keep thinking of this old song:

In tropical climes there are certain times of day
When all the citizens retire
To tear their clothes off and perspire.
It's one of those rules that the greatest fools obey,
Because the sun is much too sultry
And one must avoid its ultry-violet ray.
The native grieve when the white men leave their huts,
Because they're obviously definitely nuts!
Mad dogs and Englishmen
Go out in the midday sun...

Try to stay cool!

Mediocrefunkybeat

Platinum Member
I'm sitting in my 7'x8' home office and I've been here since 8AM. I have two old monitors that output a fair amount of heat (90W power supplies) and the fan is doing absolutely nothing despite the fact that I'm sat here in my pyjamas. My other half bought an air conditioner for our bedroom - which is no doubt contributing to climate change with its energy need - so I feel guilty about that, too. We only run it when we absolutely need to.

This is a bit ridiculous.

Mediocrefunkybeat

Platinum Member
I keep thinking of this old song:

In tropical climes there are certain times of day
When all the citizens retire
To tear their clothes off and perspire.
It's one of those rules that the greatest fools obey,
Because the sun is much too sultry
And one must avoid its ultry-violet ray.
The native grieve when the white men leave their huts,
Because they're obviously definitely nuts!
Mad dogs and Englishmen
Go out in the midday sun...

Try to stay cool!
Except back then, the average temperature even at the height of summer was considerably lower...

C. Dave Run

Silver Member
My other half bought an air conditioner for our bedroom - which is no doubt contributing to climate change with its energy need - so I feel guilty about that, too. We only run it when we absolutely need to.
Y'all need an Energy Star equivalent in the UK. It's a govt run program that promotes energy saving appliances:

It might not seem like a big deal, but each time I replace an old appliance with an energy star unit, my electric bill goes down. The new thing usually works better too.

Dont feel bad about 1 ac unit contributing to climate change. Tis better you be here and be comfortable and try to make a difference than dead from a heat stroke and doing nothing.

cbphoto

Diamond Member
When are you Brits gonna learn about geothermal home climate control? No compressor is needed, just a simple heat exchanger. Very economical, too.

Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 12.00.17 PM.png

Johnny2u2

London is on fire, the roads are melting, train tracks are catching fire, and we have no air conditioning in our house.

God save us all when this becomes the normal every summer due to global warming.

Stay hydrated, fellow Brits, and stay safe my European friends who have even hotter temperatures!
Same here in the states. The south flooding, the west burning and imminent unknown conditions here in the Midwest

Johnny2u2

I'm sitting in my 7'x8' home office and I've been here since 8AM. I have two old monitors that output a fair amount of heat (90W power supplies) and the fan is doing absolutely nothing despite the fact that I'm sat here in my pyjamas. My other half bought an air conditioner for our bedroom - which is no doubt contributing to climate change with its energy need - so I feel guilty about that, too. We only run it when we absolutely need to.

I believe the biggest polluters are livestock methane or gas/farts

doggyd69b

Silver Member

Georgia USA, not 40 but 38 and with humidity on the high 80's or higher. With my big ass house I have 4 units yes 4!. 2 work so the important parts of the house are cooled (all bedrooms and living room dining room and adjacent hallways). The other 2 units don't really work one covers the kitchen, laundry room, extra bathroom, and wife's office, and the 4th one covers my future drum room.. Total to replace them between $14 to 20K... Oh well, spend the money now or spend it later...:cautious:

C. Dave Run

Silver Member
Brits gonna learn about geothermal
Didnt they invent the thermal unit lol?

Quick question, does the Queen have ac? This is a serious question. Her home(s)* are huge.

Excuse my ignorance, I honestly dont know what building is what, and what functions they serve, not living there and all.

Mediocrefunkybeat

Platinum Member
Didnt they invent the thermal unit lol?

Quick question, does the Queen have ac? This is a serious question. Her home(s)* are huge.

Excuse my ignorance, I honestly dont know what building is what, and what functions they serve, not living there and all.
Absolutely no idea. There are a lot of separate estates too. 21 Royal estates to be precise:

I'd imagine that Windsor Castle, Balmoral, Buckingham Palace, Kensington Palace and Sandringham might be as they're the more inhabited ones. But that's a total guess.

We do have ground-source heat pumps in the UK (went to look at a house down the road with one recently) but they're very expensive. They're probably the way of the future along with air-source (we don't get nearly cold enough most of the time for these to be limited) but they're definitely not mainstream yet.

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
Is this worse than the big 1976 heat wave?
It's interesting a recent study examining methane in atmosphere last 10k years has found that natural geologic sources were drastically over estimated and majority is from human activity in particular fossil fuel extraction (oil, carbon, natural gas) 40-50% followed by agricultural sources (like rice production). Ruminants production of methane is controllable by manipulating gut flora, diet changes =reduce grass go to corn, and a host of other ideas-lots of studies and methodologies to reduce methane production by them but no one has come up with a global strategy to have our climate and eat cow too. The highest populations of cattle are India, Brazil, China, US, EU, etc. but they need to mitigate the CH4 emissions like China has done with rice production-they adopted draining the rice fields at certain stage (usually leave flooded) that increase yield and reduces methane. Though methane a stronger green house gas than carbon dioxide once reduced the time scale of a return is much faster (takes thousands of years for reductions of carbon dioxide to have an impact). Here are 2021 methane emissions
China 1.18 bn t, US 744.51 m t, Russia 685.3 mt, India 656.65 mt, Brazil 431 mt.

Status
Not open for further replies.