Snom drum??

I don't have one, but they seem pretty common therse days.

It's no like deep concert snares are anything new, nor is it to have a snare in the position they tend to be placed.

It's too "hybrid" for my taste. I like drums with decisive identities. Also, I'd never attach snares to a drum that deep. I don't approve of snare drums deeper than 5.5 -- for my own use, that is.

Last edited:
Do you have a preference for snare considered too short?

It really depends upon the snare. Depths of 5" and 5.5" are my ideals. I've never owned piccolos, which generally have depths between 3" and 4", but I approve of their crisp, cracking personalities. I like a lot of sensitivity and a quick, abbreviated response from my snare. I had a 6.5" depth for a while, but its broad body was too much for me. It felt slow and indecisive. I'm much more comfortable with a 5" or a 5.5".

This snom thing is one of my least favorite trends I've seen in forever.

I'm not sure I've ever heard one that sounds good as a tom or as a snare and I've yet to hear anyone incorporate it tastefully in a musical application that makes any sense. I mean....I'm very open to being way wrong on this - but I haven't seen it yet nor can I really imagine needing a snare that exists in the same range as my floor toms.

The new Yamaha Stage Custom Hip has a snom standard - so its...a thing now.

This snom thing is one of my least favorite trends I've seen in forever.

I'm not sure I've ever heard one that sounds good as a tom or as a snare and I've yet to hear anyone incorporate it tastefully in a musical application that makes any sense. I mean....I'm very open to being way wrong on this - but I haven't seen it yet nor can I really imagine needing a snare that exists in the same range as my floor toms.

The new Yamaha Stage Custom Hip has a snom standard - so its...a thing now.

That's my take too. The snom is trying to do two things at once. As a result, it does neither well. Jack of all trades, expert of nothing would seem to apply here.

Personally, I'm not fond of the "Snom" drums. If I wanted another floor tom, that's what I'd use them for.....just my opinion, of course.

I'm open to them but it would be a tuning adventure to get one to sound good as a snare and then fit in with the other toms. I could see using a deep snare for certain things and then retuning it to use as a tom if one had limited drums and wanted another tom voice on their kit. I've tried using a 14 X 8 side snare as one but it didn't sound all that great as a tom.

One time I shared a bill with a band who had a REALLY nice custom kit (actually we shared a stage two or three times total) with a 14x8 snare with Yamaha style wood hoops. I was chatting with him about it and he kindly offered to let me play that snare on my kit during my set, I was pumped so I agreed. I ended up hating that drum sooooo much. It felt extremely sluggish and dull with a spongy stick feel. I played with the tuning a bit and even at very high tension it was spongy and went from a 'thud' to a 'bonk' sound.

I can imagine these 'snoms' are just like that. If you really pay attention, most people using these drums use a thick double ply head with a ton of muffling... Guess that's what it takes for them to have any semblance of attack to their sound.

I dunno, I have two 14 X 8 snares. One wood and one brass and they can be tuned into what most would consider normal tuning range and have the same feel as a shallower drum.

There's a vid where Thomas Lang uses a couple of 'snoms'. 10" and 14" toms/snares besides his main snare. Something i wouldn't use, but... i do like the 'small' setup Mike Mangini had before he joined Dream Theater. He had a 10" snare in the center which doubled as the highest tom.

I just recently built one from an old 14x14 Pearl Export floor tom. Put all the hardware in place and am now looking for a snare wire set that will give me the sound I'm after.
DW has one (as demonstrated by Thomas Lang), & they're good for effects or if you need that "really deep", thumpy snare sound.
The trick is tuning it for balance between a floor tom sound with the wires off & a snare sound with them on.

This is why I went with a smaller diameter drum to pull this off. Anything bigger would sound WAY too tubby & not get the snares to respond with any sense of good sound.

I'm still waiting to hear a snom that sounds better than "ok."

I'm not a huge fan of deep thuddy snares though, so maybe I'm biased. And I prefer my 14" toms to have a 14" depth. Anything shallower sounds a little lacking IMO. So I guess snoms aren't for me.

Back