Snares...

brianbags

I was just playing and for some reason the snare started sounding flat. So I turn it over to find a broken snare and a huge hole in the resonant head...

Last time I tried to order a new snare I screwed it up, it was way too big. I have no idea what to look for now since last time I thought I was buying the right one. So can someone please give me a link to a snare that'll fit my 14" drum? Thanks

K.Howden

Can you into to more detail about "it was too big"?

As far as I'm aware 14 inch, 13 inch and maybe 12 inch are the only size snares you can get widley, never seen or heard of a snare drum with a larger diameter than 14 inches in my life I think...(well for drumset anyways).

Hope you're well,

Kev

brianbags

As far as I'm aware 14 inch, 13 inch and maybe 12 inch are the only size snares you can get widley, never seen or heard of a snare drum with a larger diameter than 14 inches in my life I think...(well for drumset anyways).

Hope you're well,

Kev
My drum is 14" and the snare was probably...16". It just overlapped the drum

grunters, is this one ok? http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/-Blasters-Series-20Strand-Snare-Wire?sku=491311

I've just spent so much money on all stuff drums lately that I'd even go for a lower quality at this point...

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member

I'll go out on a limb and suggest Brian bought a snare wire for a free floating drum.....they're longer than standard 14" wires due to the throw off design.

mrbling

Silver Member

Hope you're well,

Kev
jack white has a 16" snare i should know my guitarist keeps badgering me to buy one

Aeolian

Platinum Member
On some drums like the Ludwig supersensitive, the snares go on a frame and are always held in tension. Then the whole frame is lifted up against the head. The idea was that the tension on the snare wires could be controlled separate from the force they were held against the head. And the snares could be made long enough that they could go completely across the head. Without having the end pieces sitting on the head like most snare drums do.

It never became that popular although it did what it was supposed to do when set up correctly. I think it was too finiky for the average folks.

Look up Puresound snares (linked on the Evans website). There is a bunch of discussion on different snare wires, how to set them up, and what sizes are available.

A-customs

Silver Member
I have a14" Fibes snare that uses a 16"snare wire do to Fibes strainer.Maybe thats what you bought be mistake.......