Snares vs cymbals

Cymbalise

Now I know I sell cymbals so it's hardly surprising, but I find myself with an ever increasing and changing cymbal collection. I got through sickening amounts to find just the right sound I'm after, then start all over again.

This methodology applies equally to those who are into snares.

What I've noticed marks me out as different is that I have absolutely no interest in collecting snares. I have one Black Panther that does amazingly at gigs and recording sessions, and it languishes in the same tuning I gave it years ago when I could be bothered to faff around with tuning the thing (I hasten to add my drums are regularly messed around with, tuning-wise), and I have another Yamaha that matches the rest of my practice kit. That's it.

Yet my cymbal obsession is just endless.

Is there anyone else out there who obsesses over just the one and not the other?

It's not surprising at all, cymbals as an instrument possess an almost unlimited range of sounds that can't fundamentally be altered. Whereas snare drums of different sizes and materials begin to sound pretty similar after you've played about 50 of them, and different heads, wires, and tuning will further change each of those drums.

So, while I have (as of today, exactly) 800 cymbals, I still hear new sounds and characteristics all the time. But with 87 snares, I've heard about all the variations I'm going to hear.

Bermuda

No question I have a cymbal problem. I really like having as many cymbal options as possible and am constantly evaluating how to sonically fill in the voids in my arsenal.

Not so much with snares. This is the first time I've ever owned multiple snare drums, but after four decades I know precisely what I want. I'll end up this year with a total of six snares. Personality wise, I usually gravitate towards my three favorite snare drums and there's no desire to amass a large collection.

That being said, if I were a session player, I might feel differently about getting a whole lot more snare drums.

Snares vs cymbals? Both.

I used to buy and sell a bunch of snares, looking for usable and unique sounds. I have now settled on 15 snares that cover just about anything I could want from a snare drum. As for cymbals, I still buy and sell them, as I have an appreciation for a cymbal that sounds pleasing to my ears, so I keep a bunch. You can mix and match them in so many ways, it's hard to justify getting rid of any because they store so compactly...

I love snares. When I go to a music store the first thing I go look at is the wall of snare drums. My newest fascination is vintage wood and alternative material snares. I'm still on the hunt for an acrylic snare, a Radioking or Leedy wood snare and a Tempus. Right now I own 5 snares and take turns having my favorites.

As for cymbals, I'm really into rides at the moment. I went on a buying spree at a local pawnshop and I'm up to 5 rides, same splash and hats that I have been using forever.

...while I have...800 cymbals...with 87 snares...

Showoff :)

So how does that compute, like a cymbal a week and a snare every couple of months? I would love to see this collection.

I can absolutely relate to all of this. 3 sets of hats, 4 rides, around 20 crashes and 8 snares (recently sold 3). Would love to see Bermuda's collection...I'd spend days looking through it.. he'd probably have to have me physically removed..lol

I wish I had the money to get cymbals....as I have a gig on the 30th and I am much in need.

I could probably be satisfied with just a few different snares (possibly?) but I know I'd never be happy with just a few cymbals . Sigh...I'll never be another Mel Lewis.

800 cymbals? and 87 snare drums? If these things are like gremlins, I am in trouble! Currently have 2 sets of hi-hats, 3 crashes(one is cracked-got it that way as a way to see what sounds I like), a 20" ping crash and a 6" zil bel. They seem to be multiplying! When at the drum stores I seem to pass up the snare drums and drums and head for the sticks and cymbals.

I don't have a lot of either.

But I have too many of both.

But there are still some of both I'd like to get.

LOL

(currently, 8 snares, and about 20 cymbals)

Currently I have only one snare drum, but as far as I'm concerned, it's more than capable of covering anything I can think of. Ideally I'd like to have a side snare as well; hopefully sometime soon.

As for my cymbals, I have 3 rides, 2 sets of hats, 5 different crashes, 2 chinas, 3 bells, and 2 splashes.

Thing is, while I only have one ride up, all of the other cymbals are actually on my kit. I love having a lot of different sounds to play with cymbal-wise, whereas I'd be more than happy with just a snare or two.

If I could find the two rides I've always wanted...I'd be satisfied. Because I haven't, I keep
trading, buying, selling cymbals, always moving in the direction of what I want in increments.
I also have some cymbals that sound great in tile floor rooms and lousy in carpeted rooms....so I keep those knowing when to use which.

As far as cymbals go I'm still playing the A Zildjians that came with my forst kit when I bought it used in 1977. I added a 16" crash and a 17" crash shortly thereafter (A Zildjjans of course). They've worked well for rock, surf, and the occasional country gig I've done. I've never been a splash/china guy and I don't see myself needing any more cymbals.

I have four snare drums. A Rogers Holiday that came with my first kit, A Stage Custom Birch that came with my second kit, a Pearl Chad Smith steel snare, and a Pork Pie Cherry/Bubinga snare that I bought a couple of weeks ago. Needless to say I've been playing the Pork Pie a lot lately, but I pulled out the Chad Smith today and gave it a few whacks. I had forgotten how much I like this snare. All my snares sound different from each other but they all sound good when tuned up.

I guess you could say that given the choice between more snare drums or more cymbals, I'd to with the snares.

I don't have a cymbal problem, or snare for that matter. I have two snares and 12 cymbals. The cymbals get rotated in/out depending on what I want.

Yea, snares and cymbals, adicting, I don't have near as many as Bermuda,

I also agree with Bermuda, I have about 25 snares, i have found that it is not very often anymore I come accorss a snare I feel like I have to have from a sound perspective.

I have 4 rides, 6 pairs of hats, and a bunch of crashes ans splashes, i still hit a cymbal and think, man that is a great cymbal, gotta have it.
that being said, I Love Pawn Shops!

If I could find the two rides I've always wanted...I'd be satisfied. Because I haven't, I keep
trading, buying, selling cymbals, always moving in the direction of what I want in increments.
I also have some cymbals that sound great in tile floor rooms and lousy in carpeted rooms....so I keep those knowing when to use which.

Now THERES a handy tip for us all - different cymbals for different acoustic environments.

Not only very useful, but handy ammo to justify the purchase of more cymbals!

Glad to hear there's more than just me who don't see the point of multiple snares...

Currently I have only one snare drum, but as far as I'm concerned, it's more than capable of covering anything I can think of. Ideally I'd like to have a side snare as well; hopefully sometime soon.

As for my cymbals, I have 3 rides, 2 sets of hats, 5 different crashes, 2 chinas, 3 bells, and 2 splashes.

Thing is, while I only have one ride up, all of the other cymbals are actually on my kit. I love having a lot of different sounds to play with cymbal-wise, whereas I'd be more than happy with just a snare or two.

Totally agreed. Even my wildest dreams only have like 4 snares in them total, one a 12" side snare. I currently have 3 rides & 2 pairs of hats as well, though all of my rides do crash duty as well. There's no tuning or putting a different head on cymbals.

It's nice to have choice but not essential. I own and use 7 snares and 18 cymbals spread over bosphorus, paiste and zildjian. To some this excessive but I have played in a variety of bands and have learnt that you never know when you need that pang.

Back