snares vibrating when guitar is playing

no talent

Not sure why but the other night at a gig, my snare was buzzing like crazy. same gig, snare, guitar and amp as we always use and it never does it. what makes it do this and how to stop it next time? it was loud during songs.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
sympathetic vibrations. Everything vibrates at a certain tone. Maybe the guitar was tuned a little differently that night. Maybe your position to the guitar maybe different. You can detune a hair and see if it goes away. Tighten, loosen the snares, many variables.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Bit of muffling, move the amp or the snare, tune down a bit (or up for that matter).

It won't happen if the frequency making it to the drum doesn't "excite" the membrane. Alter freqs or placement, or muffle.

WallyY

Platinum Member
Other than tuning out of the guitar range:
1) Rotate the drum so the snares are pointing in a different line.
2) Isolate the snare on its stand with some foam or rubber.
3) make a loop of folded over tape and slide it under the snare wires. Move it from edge to center until the vibration reduces. Tape a few coins to the loop of tape to add mass.
4) Detune a bottom rod.
5) Put the amp on a piece of rubber or foam.
6) Tighten the wires until it goes away.
7) Loosen the rods closest to the snare ends, or conversely, tighten them really tight enough to bend the rim and loosen the other rods a good amount (that's a brave one).
8) Feel the bottom head while the guitar is playing and put small pieces of tape directly on the snare wires (and maybe under) at the most vibrant areas.
9) Weave another piece of wire through the snares and slide it around until the vibrations are reduced.
10) If all else fails, just turn the snares on after the song starts.

no talent

thanks guys, all good advice. played last night, different venue and had no issues. i think his amp may have been too close to me, h=its on my hi-hat side. playing that same gig this friday and saturday so if it happens again, ill at least have some ideas of how to fix it.

WallyY

Platinum Member
If you're playing within about 45 minutes of Boston, give me a PM. I want to see more of the local people on the forum playing.

M

Matt Bo Eder

Not sure why but the other night at a gig, my snare was buzzing like crazy. same gig, snare, guitar and amp as we always use and it never does it. what makes it do this and how to stop it next time? it was loud during songs.
Well......guitar players.

Otto

Platinum Member
If its a chronic problem across several venues, retune...experiment with tensions.

If it happens rarely then I would simple muffle it when you are not playing with your hand...by placing your fingers across the snares when not playing.

I have put a single ply of napkin between the snares and the snare head in times of need....but just for that one situation...its not a permanent solution of course.

I usually don't try to mess with snare tension on the fly ...or my snare head tension...but I will tweak with batter heads if the need arises while performing.