Snares that match your kit....

spantney

I find it surprsing how quickly gear mounts up. I mean my kit is fairly modest at mapex M-Birch, but by the time i add in my extra hardware, cymbals, and the new snare i fancy. We're looking at an insurance replacement value of over £2000. It really doesnt take long to sneak up on you.

Whats funniest is... i intended to get a cheap kit and some basic cymbals to get back into drumming. It kinda spiraled when i found a kit about 4x better than i could afford on the used market for a bargain price. Couldnt justify a good kit with crappy accessories.

Cant wait to get my black panther snare in 2 weeks :)
I hear ya pal! I've got the Mapex Pro-M but once I chuck all my cymbals, black panther snares and hardware into the equation it totals about £4000! Its depressing when you spent more on your drums than you did on your car hahahah. I suppose I built the kit up over a period of a couple of years though so the actual impact was a lot less! Enjoy the black panther! Those thick maples are gorgeous!!!!!

shrink

I hear ya pal! I've got the Mapex Pro-M but once I chuck all my cymbals, black panther snares and hardware into the equation it totals about £4000! Its depressing when you spent more on your drums than you did on your car hahahah. I suppose I built the kit up over a period of a couple of years though so the actual impact was a lot less! Enjoy the black panther! Those thick maples are gorgeous!!!!!
Ive yet to commit the cash to it... i dont get paid for 2 weeks... and this month i sunk all my cash into the 21" Armand ride and a Mapex B550A boom stand (so i now have matched mapex hardware)

It'll either be between the Thick Flame Maple... or if theres still any left... it'll be the maple/walnut UK special edition. It sounds epic, but is on special offer and costs about half as much as the thick maple.

spantney

Ive yet to commit the cash to it... i dont get paid for 2 weeks... and this month i sunk all my cash into the 21" Armand ride and a Mapex B550A boom stand (so i now have matched mapex hardware)

It'll either be between the Thick Flame Maple... or if theres still any left... it'll be the maple/walnut UK special edition. It sounds epic, but is on special offer and costs about half as much as the thick maple.
Ahhh fair play....well the Armand ride wasn't a bad investment either I suppose! You are a safe bet with pretty much all Black Panthers I believe - I can't recommend the Birdseye Maple ones enough! Is that Maple/Walnut one, the one on offer at drumwright at the moment? - if thats the one it is a lovely looking drum!

shrink

this one:

http://www.snarehouse.com/product.php?xProd=16

its got all the same hardware, hoops, heads and case as the thick maple, and its a nice combination of american maple, and walnut. Based on what ive heard its got a nice dry sound, without too much ring.

Seems a very solid buy for the cash. Also looks stunning.

and yeah, the armand ride is something special. Took me ages to decide to buy that one.

BGH

Gold Member
oooooo, an odd tom too, i wouldnt be able to get to sleep at night.

Just joking, looks two tone.
Ok, you can rest easy. I refnished the white tom in black lacquer :) This is the 3rd drum in this kit that I refinished. Now the copper snare really stands out. You can see the before and after.

Attachments

sqadan

I kind of like having a snare in a contrasting color with my kit. I've only owned one kit with a matching finish snare... this may have to do with the fact that I have never used a stock snare with any of my stuff.

thechief7676

Although they dont match, i LOVE the way it looks! I actually dislike the look of a matching snare. The snare is a special part of the kit, so it's fitting that it be different! Thats just my opinion though ;)
I agree 100%
My set is in Blue Sparkle and i use a Black Hammered Brass Mapex BP, and Maple Pearl Piccolo. I have a Chrome over Maple Ludwig Coliseum that i will mix in as well.
It's all about personality IMO.

Attachments

KnockOut86

Ok, you can rest easy. I refnished the white tom in black lacquer :) This is the 3rd drum in this kit that I refinished. Now the copper snare really stands out. You can see the before and after.
Wow what a great refinishing job! And your right that copper REALLY stands out and looks great!!

Sorry if anyone reading this saw this pic in another read (just found the pic) but it shows off my mismatched snare...although I kind of liked the color combo. Don't mind the ridiculous picture lol, it was a halloween show and it was the best show Ive ever played.

Attachments

ANIMALBEATS

Silver Member
Well thechief7676 i think thoes snares match your kit, black and blue and that natural wood, looks kinda good.

But your china is in a wierd position, but it must work for you.....do you ride it?

ANIMALBEATS

Silver Member
Previously stating "im a little sad that my snare will no longer be matching my kit" No longer has relevence, my brady snare blows the (kit) whole bloody thing out the water.

MikeM

Platinum Member
My kit is a custom Keller kit that was originally stained in a black, but they've morphed into a dark forest green over the years. I have a Black Beauty knock off snare which doesn't match perfectly but close enough. My other snare is a Supra, which matches perfectly since chrome goes with everything, right?

Now I've decided that I want to go to a 24"x14" kick because I'm not that into my 22x18 anymore, but the guy who made my kit won't be able to make a new one for me, so I'll probably order one from Ludwig. It won't be a perfect match, but it will be reasonably close - they have a charcoal stain/lacquer color. Will it bother me that it doesn't match my toms perfectly? Not likely.

eclipseownzu

Gold Member
My snare sticks out like a sore thumb. I dunno, I kinda like the unmatching thing. I have a terrible sense of style I guess.