Snares that match your kit....

ANIMALBEATS

Silver Member
Ive just purchased a brady snare and have to say i'll be a little sad that my snare will no longer match my kit.

It seems to be the done thing when upgrading a snare for the colour not to match you kit.

Perhaps some of you have pictures of your non matching snares and how they blend with your kit,

Heres my colour scheme.

Attachments

T.Underhill

Pioneer Member
No pics yet, but I have a Pearl Vinnie Paul snare with a smoke acrylic kit. The stock snare was junk so it had to go. Matches fine though...I guess?

ANIMALBEATS

Silver Member
Well i'll soon find out,

IIve got a DW keller shell kit, in regular sizes, 8,10,12,14,16,22

And the snare is an 12" x 7" Jarrah ply, I play rock, funk, n hipish hopish.

Larry mullin from U2 used the same snare size throughout the 80's but his was a jarrah block.

shrink

will soon be adding a snare myself that wont match... but it will look great. I have a cherry red mapex M-Birch kit, and will soon be adding a gorgeous mapex black panther thick flame maple snare. Its a kind of lacquered honey colour, and next to the red kit will look amazing.

TNA

Do you really care that much if it matches? For one the audience mostly can only see the bass, and toms, and can't really see your snare that much. Also, everyone knows that people use different snares, and that it is the one piece of the kit that is changed, or upgraded the most often. Nobody is ever going to say anything about your snare not matching.

ANIMALBEATS

Silver Member
Tell you the real problem TNA, when a go to my wee bed at night, i sleep parallel to my kit and have the most spectacular view of my beloved. Getting a fine side view of my snare and my rack toms, and it pleases me so to see them all in a unison of colour.

Anyways, get yer pic's up.

Last edited:

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
My Premier kit is Topaz (amber ) while the snare I use with that kit is a natural DW. It's not an exact match, but they are close enough it doesn't jump out as a difference.

My DW kit is dark purple, while that DW snare is black.
Most people don't really notice the difference, because the black blends in with the dark purple enough it doesn't jump out.

But I won't use my DW natural snare with my purple DW kit, because then the snare sticks out like sore thumb.

shrink

not quite mate... my kit isnt the two tone.. its the standard lacquer cherry:

like this:

but your spot on with the snare. I dont mind that it doesnt match, because they both have gorgeous natural wood grains, and really good finishes, so they compliment each other in that sense.

in fact heres a chap playing the exact combination i'll have....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-QA9gTXHvU

im loving that snare!!

shrink

absolutely.. works for me... the red plus the flame yellow looks great... sounds not bad too hehe

Boomka

Platinum Member
Well i'll soon find out,

IIve got a DW keller shell kit, in regular sizes, 8,10,12,14,16,22

And the snare is an 12" x 7" Jarrah ply, I play rock, funk, n hipish hopish.

Larry mullin from U2 used the same snare size throughout the 80's but his was a jarrah block.
Don't think about it too much.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
My kit is cherry burst, and my snares are silver sparkle, wood stained, red stained, and brass metal. None of them match but they all sound good. Plus it's hidden behind the rest of the set. Shown here are all but the Silver Sparkle.

Attachments

Last edited:

spantney

As others have said its the sound the matters rather than the look of the snare, although it never hurts for it to it to be a bit of eye candy aswell. Although I have matching snares for both my acoustic kits, I keep them as spares because I use my expensive snares at practice, gigs and recordings nowadays.

My favourite snare is my Mapex Black Panther 14" x 5.5" Birdseye Maple and I use it with my cherry fade Mapex Pro-M kit. I don't think it looks out of place at all.

Oh and yes I am missing my 13" tom from my rack - took it off while recording!!!

Garvin

Pioneer Member

Yamaha Oak Custom Bass/Toms - Honey Amber

Pearl Limited African Mahogany Snare - Mahogany

Matches pretty good, but I love this snare no matter what.

jjmason777

I have NEVER had a snare that matched my kit. All of my kits have been black, with either a chrome finish snare, or a natural maple finish. BUT....

All of that's about to change. Tomorrow I am taking delivery of a brand new custom Trick kit! With matching snare!

I'm not sure if I will sleep much tonight... :)