Snares different than drums

ALotSirSwings

Anybody else play a different brand of snares than drums? For example, I love Gretsch drums but all my favorite snares I own are Ludwig, specifically my 1970 Supra. Anybody else do this?

All the time. Very rarely play matched snares.

I mix and match all the time. Depends on room size, acoustics, and mics/no mics.
It's a tool, not a fashion accessory.

This is something I've never done. From 1984-1989, I played a Ludwig kit with a Ludwig snare. Since 1989, I've played only Pearl kits with Pearl snares. All of my hardware is Pearl as well. I also play nothing but Zildjian cymbals. Plus, I use only Remo heads and AHEAD sticks. Mixing and matching is fine if you wish to; my tendency is simply to stick with one brand once its sound and quality are to my liking. I'd rather focus on my playing than dabble with lots of different equipment.

Well, they are mostly Gretsch, but there is also.

Longo walnut
Yamaha Colaiuta sig
Ludwig Black Beauty
Yamaha Club Custom

They're in use.,

The Longo is sort of the safety net drum that always tags along, just in case.

This is something I've never done. From 1984-1989, I played a Ludwig kit with a Ludwig snare. Since 1989, I've played only Pearl kits with Pearl snares. All of my hardware is Pearl as well. I also play nothing but Zildjian cymbals. Plus, I use only Remo heads and AHEAD sticks. Mixing and matching is fine if you wish to; my tendency is simply to stick with one brand once its sound and quality are to my liking. I'd rather focus on my playing than dabble with lots of different equipment.

I'm in this boat also. I've always had the same brand snare and kit. I had an Acrolite as a side snare on a Pearl kit, but that's it.

I've mixed and matched in the past, but as I've dialed in my "dream kit" I've narrowed things down to pretty much just Ludwig drums. I have the sounds I like covered, so I don't really feel limited by sticking to a small number of drum brands. I know for a long time the non matching snare was the trendy thing to do, but for me having them match feels better in some small way.

Cymbals, on the other hand, I'm ALL over the map. I have cymbals from Meinl, Paiste, Sabian, and Zildjian and I choose a set up based on the sound I want without feeling the need to match brands at all.

My go-to snare is a Gretsch Brooklyn, with my Gretsch Renown, but I have played others as well. Taye, Pork Pie, Tama, and others.

I use my dads 1955 Ludwig Supraphonic on any kit have ever played...so some times it matches when I am using his kit, but my main kit is a 1994 Pearl Master Custom Maple. I didn't even buy a snare with it

I have a cheap PDP kit, my snare(s) are a Pearl EX and a Pearl Short Fuse.

I use my dads 1955 Ludwig Supraphonic on any kit have ever played...so some times it matches when I am using his kit, but my main kit is a 1994 Pearl Master Custom Maple. I didn't even buy a snare with it

The "Super Ludwig" (Model 400) first appeared in the 1960 Ludwig Catalog, and then the name changed to "Supraphonic" in 1964. Yours is either not a Super (or Supraphonic), or cannot date to 1955. What badge/Serial number is yours? Pics??

While I have the matching snare to my kit, I haven't played it seriously in close to 20 years. My most used snare is a Spaun bell brass, followed by a Tama hand hammered copper snare. My kit is DW. I love the tone of thick metal snares.

I do have a couple of matching snares for my kits (Yamaha RC & Premier Projector). My Pearl Masters also has a Masterworks Snare. I then twiddle with the others I own (Tama SLP G-Maple, Pearl 13x3 Brass Piccolo, Yamaha RC 13x6.5 Brass, Mapex Sledgehammer.

I hardly ever use the matching snares even if they came with the kits. The Drum Craft snare that came with my DC8 is not a bad drum at all, but my Supra as well as other more expensive snare drums are superior. And the Gretsch Catalina, well, everybody knows it's not a hard thing to find a better snare.

The "Super Ludwig" (Model 400) first appeared in the 1960 Ludwig Catalog, and then the name changed to "Supraphonic" in 1964. Yours is either not a Super (or Supraphonic), or cannot date to 1955. What badge/Serial number is yours? Pics??

hmmm...the drum is at school on my set right now, and we aren't allowed in the building. Will have to wait till I can get in the building, but will send pics. I do know that it came with the resy of his set though, so I know it is from 55...it is 5x14 metal snare. Chrome in color. I don't think it is chrome over brass b/c the interior is steel colored. The badge is the small keystone shaped badge; brass, with the crossed sticks and it says Ludwig on it...I know there are numbers stamped on it, but just don't remember them.

So, just browsed the 1955 catalog, and it doesn't show a metal snare. Maybe it is a 1960 or later model, and he is just not remembering correctly. WE have the original sale slip from when he bought the drum set somewhere...I might have to dig that back up and see what he bought on that trip. It could be that he bought the metal snare later, or traded it in on the one I have....it looks EXACTLY like the chrome one in the pic of the 1960 catalog, so I know it is a Super (phonic)...

Last edited:
hmmm...the drum is at school on my set right now, and we aren't allowed in the building. Will have to wait till I can get in the building, but will send pics. I do know that it came with the resy of his set though, so I know it is from 55...it is 5x14 metal snare. Chrome in color. I don't think it is chrome over brass b/c the interior is steel colored. The badge is the small keystone shaped badge; brass, with the crossed sticks and it says Ludwig on it...I know there are numbers stamped on it, but just don't remember them.

So, just browsed the 1955 catalog, and it doesn't show a metal snare. Maybe it is a 1960 or later model, and he is just not remembering correctly. WE have the original sale slip from when he bought the drum set somewhere...I might have to dig that back up and see what he bought on that trip. It could be that he bought the metal snare later, or traded it in on the one I have....it looks EXACTLY like the chrome one in the pic of the 1960 catalog, so I know it is a Super (phonic)...

The keystone badge you describe, with serial numbers on it, put the earliest possible date at 1963, and the shell Chrome over Aluminum (Ludalloy). Still great drums, don't get me wrong. I own a 1964 Ludwig kit, with Supraphonic.

All my drums are Mapex. There is the Saturn V snare that came with my set, and I an MPX 13x6 birch snare too.

The keystone badge you describe, with serial numbers on it, put the earliest possible date at 1963, and the shell Chrome over Aluminum (Ludalloy). Still great drums, don't get me wrong. I own a 1964 Ludwig kit, with Supraphonic.

oh yeah...I won't be "hurt" if it isn't some super collectable model. it has a ton of personal mojo and history to it that is worth more than dollars

now you sent me down the drum research rabbit hole, and I am finding that the toms and bass drums are 55 Super Classics, and that reminded me that he DID say that he bought the toms and bass separately, and used his school snare drum at first. I am willing to bet that he traded that drum in for part of the payment for the Supraphonic, b/c we don't have the school snare.

Back