Snaredrum dilemma!

SimSalaBim

In terms of a snare's dimensions, "pitch" is more influenced by diameter than by depth. How are you tuning your maple shell? If you're cranking it, try dropping to a medium range. You might be surprised by how much body you can get from a 5" depth.
Ok thx. Will experiment a little with it. Yes its pretty cranked. I don't really have good feeling on loose snare head. Rim shots just dont feel good to me and I think its not cutting enough cause we are playing loud.

C.M. Jones

Ok thx. Will experiment a little with it. Yes its pretty cranked. I don't really have good feeling on loose snare head. Rim shots just dont feel good to me and I think its not cutting enough cause we are playing loud.
Got it. If you like a cranked snare, by all means, play it that way. But if you want body to surface, experimenting with medium or medium-low tensions will be quite revealing. That goes for your resonant head too. Even minimal reductions in tension on the resonant side can open up the sound.

wildbill

Platinum Member
Maple Custom Absolute is a very good snare. You should be able to get it to sound great.
Maybe it would take different tuning or heads, but I know mine sounds real good.
Try different tensions on both the batter and reso heads. Also play around with how tight you set your snares.

Sometimes you just want to try something different or new. I get that.
Maybe stretch your budget a little and go for the Supra.

SimSalaBim

Thanks guys. You really are quick and very helpful. Hm yes I just can't get my maple custom to sound right. Just got new Remo Emperor Batter x I think on but it still sounds bad to me. Its like really high annoying sound. Just cant get that nice ringing sound with lots of body. Yes maybe its just my tuning kind of sux lol.

sumdrumguy

Thanks guys. You really are quick and very helpful. Hm yes I just can't get my maple custom to sound right. Just got new Remo Emperor Batter x I think on but it still sounds bad to me. Its like really high annoying sound. Just cant get that nice ringing sound with lots of body. Yes maybe its just my tuning kind of sux lol.

If you have one handy, put a simple single ply texture coated on the snare and work on tuning. I guarantee that maple custom can yield a nice ring with lots of body.

Detune both the reso and the batter. Bring the reso up, with all tension rods at the same pitch. Don't crank it. Get the reso tight, but you should still be able to push in to it. Then work on the batter. Bring it up in stages, maintaining even tension all the way round.

Take your time, and listen to the drum as you go.

TJK

If you have one handy, put a simple single ply texture coated on the snare and work on tuning. I guarantee that maple custom can yield a nice ring with lots of body.

Detune both the reso and the batter. Bring the reso up, with all tension rods at the same pitch. Don't crank it. Get the reso tight, but you should still be able to push in to it. Then work on the batter. Bring it up in stages, maintaining even tension all the way round.

Take your time, and listen to the drum as you go.
Also use regular strings or a fabric strap and ditch the plastic straps, they will choke the snares when you crank them up past loose. First thing I did with my supra. It really opens up when you tighten the snares just enough to get that fatback slapback of the snares

SimSalaBim

I checked some demos. They sound great but on some models there is maybe too much metallic ring for my liking. Too much overtones. That "tooooink" that sounds after you hit the rim shot.

drummingbulldog

For the money, I would buy a snare drum kit from www.drumfactorydirect.com as they have multiple shells to pick from. They have the black brass shell 6.5x14 kit. Check that out first. Comes with everything you need.

someguy01

For the money, I would buy a snare drum kit from www.drumfactorydirect.com as they have multiple shells to pick from. They have the black brass shell 6.5x14 kit. Check that out first. Comes with everything you need.

While an excellent suggestion that I whole-heartedly support, I think the shipping from Pennsylvania to Slovenia might make the savings moot.
For anyone in the U.S., this is definitely the way to go.

SimSalaBim

What about new Yamaha recording Custom 14x6,5 Brass? Anyone tried that? It would kind of match with my Maple Customs.

Also read a lot of positive things about Pearl Ian Paice snare. Kind of copy of Supra.

Last edited:

Bonzo_CR

Silver Member
Hey Sim, also worth considering is the Tama SLP Dry Aluminium. It's a bit like an Acrolite clone - it has a similar sound to the Supra too. Great value, and within your budget. Put a coated Emperor on it for a classic snare sound...

Chris Whitten

All this talk of DIY kits and clones, but the classic Supraphonic is only $400 and is pretty much guaranteed to sound good and will only ever go up in value.

SimSalaBim

All this talk of DIY kits and clones, but the classic Supraphonic is only $400 and is pretty much guaranteed to sound good and will only ever go up in value.
Hm not sure if I could get it for that price here. New is over the top. Even used ones from 70-is are like 450 Euros

sumdrumguy

What about new Yamaha recording Custom 14x6,5 Brass? Anyone tried that? It would kind of match with my Maple Customs.

Also read a lot of positive things about Pearl Ian Paice snare. Kind of copy of Supra.

I own the Yamaha RC Brass 14x6.5. Absolutely no regrets. It is worth every penny!

That said, if your ear/tuning is iffy the quality of the snare is moot. I recommend holding off on buying something. Get some new heads, and explore the tuning range of that maple custom.

SimSalaBim

Hey Sim, also worth considering is the Tama SLP Dry Aluminium. It's a bit like an Acrolite clone - it has a similar sound to the Supra too. Great value, and within your budget. Put a coated Emperor on it for a classic snare sound...
Man that one really sounds great. Is this loud enough for rock settings. Too bad they didnt made this in 14x6. It kind of got to 2 final choices. I think Ill go with Tama. Its either Starphonic brass or Dry Aluminium.

Last edited:

someguy01

Link please. With a quick search, I see $549 to $579.
On Reverb there are a few for the price he mentioned, however the best condition of any of those is "good" or they are B stock.
Regardless, the OP is in Slovenia and from what I've gathered from this forum is that Ludwig items are hard to come across overseas and when they are found, the prices are much higher than here in the U.S.