Snare wires with plastic strip vs string - any differences?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
If this has been discussed before here, feel free to leave a link below.

My question is this: is there a difference in sound/response/sensitivity between snare wires that us string vs the strip of plastic? My experience with using both is limited. Thanks!

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Seems to depend on wires and snares. My cheap Pearl Vision Sensitone aluminum or steel snares sound great with plastic, string or cloth. I have a high-end SONOR artisan amboina snare with gold hardware-and the brass wires came with plastic straps. I was shocked and replaced with string which just didn't work (buzz like crazy so wasn't seating properly) so went back to plastic straps. In time I replaced the original brass wires with Pure brass wires and their cloth straps and works great. Looking at the original SONOR wires I could see the strings raised it up off the head because the notch to shallow. Seems the design of wire end plates has a lot to do with it???

Last edited:

vyacheslav

Whatever works for you. I prefer the Grosgrain ribbon material. One thing to keep in mind is that certain snare cords (like the ones that come with Puresound Snare Wires) can actually leave small indentations in your snare beds on a wood drum. I've seen it happen before.

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
One thing to keep in mind is that certain snare cords (like the ones that come with Puresound Snare Wires) can actually leave small indentations in your snare beds on a wood drum. I've seen it happen before.
If the cords are made of steel, DON’T use them. If they are from fabric ,you can use them.

The steel ones did left dents in my bearing edge.

I think Puresound stopped with these for a while now and only include the cross ribbon with them?