Snare wires - question on width

JesusMySavior

Silver Member
On my newly acquired PDP set, I noticed the Snare has a broken wire. I would like to replace it with a PureSound 30 strand wires set. Will it fit on the snare? It's an FS Birch snare. I don't want to take the plunge on it unless I know it will for sure fit on the bottom due to the extra width.

Snare is 14" x 5.5", birch. Thanks!

tamadrm

Platinum Member
On my newly acquired PDP set, I noticed the Snare has a broken wire. I would like to replace it with a PureSound 30 strand wires set. Will it fit on the snare? It's an FS Birch snare. I don't want to take the plunge on it unless I know it will for sure fit on the bottom due to the extra width.

Snare is 14" x 5.5", birch. Thanks!
First,measure the with of your snare bed.The make an model dosen't matter.Then go to the Puresound website,and check the with of the snare wires you want.The 30 needs at least 3" snare bed.

Steve B

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
First,measure the with of your snare bed.The make an model dosen't matter.Then go to the Puresound website,and check the with of the snare wires you want.The 30 needs at least 3" snare bed.

Steve B
That shouldn't matter. The holes for the strings are in the standard location, and that is what the snare bed is for, the strings. The 30 should be just fine on that snare. As a matter of fact, I have a 30 strand on a Dyna-sonic right now and it works and sounds great, no 3" snare bed.

I get why you would say this, but wouldn't it only really matter on a smaller diameter drum where the width of the snare ends might come in contact with the bearing edge? I have never seen a set of wires touch the edge on a 14" drum.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I usually don't go above 25 strands because sympathetic snare buzz, etc is harder to control when their are a lot of wires.
30 strands is OK, but just be aware that the drum will behave differently.
Do your homework and watch Mr Gatson. http://youtu.be/WcHAFgafPkE

motleyh

That shouldn't matter. The holes for the strings are in the standard location, and that is what the snare bed is for, the strings. The 30 should be just fine on that snare. As a matter of fact, I have a 30 strand on a Dyna-sonic right now and it works and sounds great, no 3" snare bed.

I get why you would say this, but wouldn't it only really matter on a smaller diameter drum where the width of the snare ends might come in contact with the bearing edge? I have never seen a set of wires touch the edge on a 14" drum.
The purpose of the snare bed is to form a shape on the bottom head so that the snare wires can lie evenly against the head. It's not related to the strings. The bed forms a depression, or trough, across the head. If that depression is narrower than the wires themselves, the outside wires will be lying in contact with the head and the inside wires will hang without contact with the head. Tighten them up and the inside wires will contact the head and the outside strands will choke it from being too tight against it. If the bed is wider than the snares, it will provide a surface at an even height so that they can all contact it the same. (Additionally, the beds arc the surface across the head so that the wires in the center of the drum don't arc away from it as they're tightened.) Sorry I'm not a good diagram maker -- it would make this easier to describe.

Uneven wire/head contact means you have a choice between rattling or choking.

It will matter less with extremely shallow beds, since they affect the shape of the head less, but usually extremely shallow beds are cut pretty wide anyway.

As far as fitting on a smaller diameter drum, use a set of wires made for that diameter. Using a 14" set of wires on a 13" drum won't work, but using a 13" set works just fine. :)

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
The purpose of the snare bed is to form a shape on the bottom head so that the snare wires can lie evenly against the head. It's not related to the strings. The bed forms a depression, or trough, across the head. If that depression is narrower than the wires themselves, the outside wires will be lying in contact with the head and the inside wires will hang without contact with the head. Tighten them up and the inside wires will contact the head and the outside strands will choke it from being too tight against it. If the bed is wider than the snares, it will provide a surface at an even height so that they can all contact it the same. (Additionally, the beds arc the surface across the head so that the wires in the center of the drum don't arc away from it as they're tightened.) Sorry I'm not a good diagram maker -- it would make this easier to describe.

Uneven wire/head contact means you have a choice between rattling or choking.

It will matter less with extremely shallow beds, since they affect the shape of the head less, but usually extremely shallow beds are cut pretty wide anyway.

As far as fitting on a smaller diameter drum, use a set of wires made for that diameter. Using a 14" set of wires on a 13" drum won't work, but using a 13" set works just fine. :)
Okay I get you are saying, no diagram needed. I have not had this issue, and put wider snares on everything. Would it make a difference between wood and metal? Also, as was explained to me, and some drum sites have agreed with what I stated, the beds are cut so the strings don't prevent the snare from touching the head. If there were no beds, the snare would be resting on the strings and doesn't actually touch the head. Perhaps there are two schools of thought on this?

motleyh

Okay I get you are saying, no diagram needed. I have not had this issue, and put wider snares on everything. Would it make a difference between wood and metal? Also, as was explained to me, and some drum sites have agreed with what I stated, the beds are cut so the strings don't prevent the snare from touching the head. If there were no beds, the snare would be resting on the strings and doesn't actually touch the head. Perhaps there are two schools of thought on this?
Sorry, can't account for the theory about the strings. It's honestly not the reason for the beds -- if it were, it would be simple to modify the end plates so the strings didn't protrude (actually, some snare brands are made this way) or use a thinner material to attach the snares to the strainer. If the drum sites you're referring to are discussion forums, be cautious.

No difference between wood and metal -- this issue is about shapes. If I'm not mistaken, your Dynasonic was originally set up with a frame holding the wires straight, so you would want the reso head straight also, therefor no bed or very, very little -- and no issue with the width of the wires.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Sorry, can't account for the theory about the strings. It's honestly not the reason for the beds -- if it were, it would be simple to modify the end plates so the strings didn't protrude (actually, some snare brands are made this way) or use a thinner material to attach the snares to the strainer. If the drum sites you're referring to are discussion forums, be cautious.

No difference between wood and metal -- this issue is about shapes. If I'm not mistaken, your Dynasonic was originally set up with a frame holding the wires straight, so you would want the reso head straight also, therefor no bed or very, very little -- and no issue with the width of the wires.
Exactly.The dyna dosen't need a snare bed,because of the frame that extends over the bearing edges.

If you look at earlier vintage metal or wood drums,you'll notice a deep but very narrow snare bed.Trying to use a 30 strand pair of wires on those would be impossible,if you didn't widen the snare beds,as some of them are only 2" wide.A 30 strand pair of wires ,could never lay flat on the reso head.So there is no universal,modern snare wire fit.

It's always better to measure with of the beds first.

Steve B

Last edited:

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
The more wires that are used, the less tone from the drum will be heard. It is best to find a balance between the amount of wires and the sound of the drum. I have removed wires from a snare drum to improve the sound just as Bob Gatzen did in the video that I linked earlier.
Experimentation is the only real answer. The size of the bed is a factor along with other aspects of the drum and its tuning.