Snare Wires / Importance.

Well, most people that put a set of expensive snare wires on their drum are replacing a set that was old and probably worn out. Of course they're going to think their drum sounds better, it has new wires on it...even a new set of cheap wires would have sounded better.

Before I stuck with using Gibraltar wires I was really into Pearl's Ultrasound wires. They are really well made and the different styles of end plates did seem to help dial in a specific snare response if you really paid attention to what kind of snare beds your drum had. They seem to fly under the radar which is a shame because I think they're great and they're reasonably priced too.

Well, most people that put a set of expensive snare wires on their drum are replacing a set that was old and probably worn out. Of course they're going to think their drum sounds better, it has new wires on it...even a new set of cheap wires would have sounded better.

Before I stuck with using Gibraltar wires I was really into Pearl's Ultrasound wires. They are really well made and the different styles of end plates did seem to help dial in a specific snare response if you really paid attention to what kind of snare beds your drum had. They seem to fly under the radar which is a shame because I think they're great and they're reasonably priced too.
When I finally dove into the Acrolite waters last year, I replaced the snares with 20 strand Puresound wires. Didn't like the sound. I then switched over to 20 strand chrome Taiwanese wires that I paid $3.95 for through one of the online supply houses, and couldn't believe the sizzle they produced. This coming from someone who loves Puresound, Pearl, and Gibraltar wires.

I don't know.. I just use Puresound on all my snares.. they last forever and don't buzz like some Ludwig snappy snarewires I used a long time ago. Buzzing was usually caused by a loose or twisted wire - never run into that with PS - they just seem to hold their shape. I've tried the Fatcats.. with the 20-24 strand set and it was just too much snare. Never had a problem with PS - using an Evans G1 coated batter and hazy 300 Reso head. it's a simple formula but it works every time for me.

The best wires I’ve found are the cable snares from Grover. They’re really sensitive, dry, and they eliminate sympathetic buzz really well. They do lack the really piercing highs that metal coil snares have, but that’s a plus for me.

Back