Snare vs. Room

NerfLad

Silver Member
Good Morning Drummerworld.

Of course this is all a bit frivolous with close mic'ing but I think it is still important, and of course I'd love to get your opinions. So... if you're so fortunate as to have a choice, which snare drums do choose for which rooms?

I like metal shells in muddy rooms and for covering long distances (no matter the room), and wood shells for pretty much everything else. I know there's a lot more to it than just "metal" or "wood", and we can get into that, but that's kind of my oversimplified rule of thumb.

Eric

Last edited:

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I use the same snare no matter the room. How I hit it depends on the room surfaces and the amount of people in the room.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I use the same snare no matter the room. How I hit it depends on the room surfaces and the amount of people in the room.
I acoustically remodel every room I play in to offer optimal snare sound. So much more satisfying that simply changing tuning ;)

Jhostetler

Haha, last night I ran into this very problem. I had a jazz gig on my college campus and played in on of the campus apartments. Normally, I use an old Sonor D-444 as my main snare. It works great at all my other performances where the room is bigger. However, for this gig they stuck me in a corner where two big panes of glass came together. It was just way too much for the size of the room. I quickly switched it out for a Tama Silverstar snare with an Evans Genera Dry. Worked like a charm.

NerfLad

Silver Member
I acoustically remodel every room I play in to offer optimal snare sound. So much more satisfying that simply changing tuning ;)
Do you mean to imply you think I don't try different snare drum tunings? Considering you manufacture drums for a living, you were one of the people I was hoping for some quality discussion from, honestly.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
I play in two kinds of places. There are no microphones for the drums in either place.

One place is in bars and small night clubs. I use my 1926 Ludwig COB Super. It has plenty of crack and cuts though the loud guitar and amps just fine.

The other venue is outdoors. Here I use my Ludwig Supraphonic 5 x 14. I don't think this snare works well outdoors. It is louder than my Ludwig Super but I have to hit it very hard to compete with the loud guitar and keyboard amps. I know the band plays a little too loud, but that is not going to change. When I play outdoors there is usually a brass section, keyboard, two guitars, bass, harp player and lead singer.

I would like to find a good snare for un-miced outdoor use.
I don't own a wood snare.

opentune

Platinum Member
\

I would like to find a good snare for un-miced outdoor use.
I don't own a wood snare.

If you don't want to invest too much I'd suggest a steel snare for this purpose, an older Pearl or Tama offering. The Pearl Chad Smith snare is also a nice rather inexpensive snare with cut. Steel is harsher than Alu or brass but does the job with loud guitar amplification.

tcspears

Gold Member
Unless I'm playing a huge venue or outdoor concert, I never mic my drums... it might depend on the style of music, I play mostly jazz, which allows me to work a lot with dynamics. If sticks are too loud in a room, I'll switch over to brushes, or just play quieter...