Snare/Tom Tuning Problem

Max99

Hey, so today I went out and bought some brand new heads for my snare and toms since the old ones were getting in pretty horrible shape. I was using this guys video's for help with retuning the drums:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ9Unab1OzU

But basicly I came across a problem, I managed to get my snare and my rack tom to both sound really nice individually, but when I started playing...Every time I hit the snare, I could hear my tom buzzing in the background and I just can't seem to get around this problem without making one or the other sound awful. Anyone ever had a similar problem to this before?
Thanks
Max

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Yep....sympathetic buzz, it's a common problem. Your drums are currently tuned so that when one is struck, the other vibrates 'in sympathy'. Try tweaking both drums just a tad. Tune the snare up ever so slightly and perhaps tune the tom down just a bit too. You won't need to turn the rods much at all....just enough to get rid of the problem.

Max99

Thanks. I've tried adjusting them a little bit, but it seems I really have to lower the toms and really crank up the snare to manage to make them stop "buzzing" with each other...so much so that everything sounds crap again..

F

Fishgopop007

How bad is the problem? and what style do you play? For example would it really notice over playing something like rock or metal?

Max99

Well it annoys me quite a lot since I can still hear it wearing earplugs when I'm practising. And I mainly play rock and punk rock situations

drumtechdad

Gold Member
As others have said, adjust the offending tom and/or the snare. It's often a very small change that's necessary. If you're going to wildly different tunings you may have missed that one spot that reduced it the most.

If tuning doesn't get you where you want to be--remembering that a little sympathetic vibration is normal and usually inaudible from the audience--the best solution I know is to use snare wires with fewer strands. I use 16-strand wires on all my snares now and you get quite a bit less sympathetic buzz. You get more tone from the drum, too.

T

TheArchitect

Hey, so today I went out and bought some brand new heads for my snare and toms since the old ones were getting in pretty horrible shape. I was using this guys video's for help with retuning the drums:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ9Unab1OzU

But basicly I came across a problem, I managed to get my snare and my rack tom to both sound really nice individually, but when I started playing...Every time I hit the snare, I could hear my tom buzzing in the background and I just can't seem to get around this problem without making one or the other sound awful. Anyone ever had a similar problem to this before?
Thanks
Max
There should not be anything buzzing on a tom regardless of how they are tuned unless you have loose hardware of some sort.

Sympathetic ringing on the other hand is common and should be easily dealt with through minor tuning adjustments