Snare to complement my Acrolite

vtran711

I recently acquired a 14x5 vintage Acro and love it. I've been having fun thinking about the next snare that will be good to complement the Acro. I don't want to own a whole fleet and would really just want 2 snares to cover most situations. I play mostly classic rock in a cover band but who knows what the future holds so I'm looking for something that will be generally versatile along with the Acro. I know many other brands make good snares but I am completely hooked on Ludwigs now.

I've narrowed it down to either a 14x6.5 Black Beauty or 14x6.5 Classic Maple. I like the idea of having one wood and one metal snare but the BB is just SO nice! I'm not making this purchase any time soon but am keeping my eye out on the used market. Between these two snares which one do you think is more complementary to the Acro?

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
You can't go wrong with either the Black Beauty or the Classic Maple. When finances allow get both. Having a Black Beauty, a Maple and an Acro will cover a lot of ground. Your call which one would immediately benefit your situation if you can only afford one now.

If you're gigging I might suggest the 14" X 8" Black Beauty. For me the 8" Black Beauty sounds like a 6-1/2" but with more body, but trust your own ears for what depth you prefer.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I'd suggest planning at some point to get both the Black Beauty and Classic Maple. I'd get a wood drum now, but eventually you're going to want the Black Beauty. Its sound is quite different from aluminum and maple.

graysonator

I'd suggest planning at some point to get both the Black Beauty and Classic Maple. I'd get a wood drum now, but eventually you're going to want the Black Beauty. Its sound is quite different from aluminum and maple.
yeah I agree, get both.

vtran711

My budget is no more than the cost for a BB and hoping to get that cost down a bit with either going used or waiting for a sale.

I'm leaning towards the BB and I haven't heard anyone say the Classic Maple is the way to go if you already have an Acro.

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
My budget is no more than the cost for a BB and hoping to get that cost down a bit with either going used or waiting for a sale.

I'm leaning towards the BB and I haven't heard anyone say the Classic Maple is the way to go if you already have an Acro.

If you go with the Black Beauty you might consider getting a new, discounted factory B-stock. Usually B-stock models have very minor plating imperfections on the interior of the drum at a significant savings. They come with a Blue/Olive cut off badge and no serial number.

You are definitely choosing the right path in your snare selection. If I were in your shoes I would lean towards picking up a maple drum first for some additional versatility. But if you really want to purchase the Black Beauty first, you're not going to go wrong.

And to all the loyal Ludwig diehards--my apologies in advance for what I'm about to say--the Noble & Cooley Horizon 14" X 6" Maple/Mahogany ply snare is another great gigging snare drum. Just putting that out there for your consideration. Let your ears dictate what you prefer.

But again, you should have your bases pretty well covered with an Acro, Black Beauty and Maple snare drum.

bongoman

I’ll go against the grain and say get a wood snare. But not a Classic Maple. The CM is a very good but generic sounding drum. I think people are pushing for the BB because it’s got more tonal personality, compared to the CM. Look at snares of walnut, bubinga, ash, mahogany, other tonally interesting woods. Look at big rounded bearing edges, rerings, single ply shells. Those sorts of qualities will give you a nice complement to a metal snare, as compared to a standard modern maple or birch with 45 degree edges, which IMO don’t sound all that different from a metal drum.

Lennytoons

The Gretsch Brooklyn standard is a nice snare for $500. It will sound quite different from your Acrolite. It's a wood snare that appears to sound great in all tunings.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
Next purchase I recommend wood. Go on eBay and Reverb and look for a "vintage" Tama that was made in Japan. You'd then have two vintage classic snares one metal one wood.

Here is one reasonably priced. I saw a few others in same price range, but I could not verify Japan on badge.