Snare stands

KeithEnglish

Hi everyone, Looking for a sturdy quality snare stand (isn't everyone?...lol). One of the frustrations I have come across is - at what location are the height specs referring to? Bottom of the snare? Top the snare? Top of the snare basket? etc.. It would be very helpful (read critical), if they mentioned a point of reference! Grrrrr!

IBitePrettyHard

Hmm, I would assume the listed height would be from the floor to the top of the stand itself? Do you have special height requirements in particular, like to put the snare super high, or to go low enough to accommodate a deep snare?

A snare stand that gets rave reviews: the Pearl S930. The gear-less tilter is great.

KeithEnglish

I had bought a Gibraltar 9706 stand because I liked the rotating ball for adjustments on the snare basket. I play traditional and matched, and change the angle and height of the snare occasionally. The specs said height was 18"-24". I figured that was adequate. Well it was not. It was still at least 2" to short. Great for a 14x8", but not a 14x5.25" snare. The base tripod is stout but very short. Well luckily I have a considerable amount of spare stands with different height tripods lying around. I found a DW snare stand that had the same diameter main tube (32mm), but was taller in height, about 6", and with a few tools (allen wrench, plastic hammer, drill, phillips screw driver) I was able to swap them out. The DW/Gibraltar snare stand is now better than I could have wished for. Thanks for for the recommendation, I also have that same Pearl snare stand. I was never really happy with it. Thankfully there are choices for everyone.