Snare stand with built-in "Booty Shakers"

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Hey folks!

I've been beating the crap out of my hardware for months on end now (about 50 shows so far since the end of April!). The setting up and tearing down is starting to take its toll on some of my gear. The first piece of gear I may be replacing is my snare stand that holds my rack tom (13" Classic Maple).

I really like the Booty Shakers on them, but I'd like to buy a snare stand that already has them "built-in" so to speak. I need a stand that won't choke out the sound of the rack tom. I've been looking at the Pearl snare stands, the Ludwig Atlas Pro, and the DW (but it's a little bit expensive). Any suggestions?

The Ludwig is a nice stand, goes low and the grip positions are adjustable and will accept a 16" drum. It's kinda heavy to drag around for local gigs IMO, and may not go high enough (depending where you like your tom.) I would think the DW is also pretty heavy.

My suggestion - go with a stand that you like, and use Booty Shakers (I believe they still come in two sizes.)

Another option is this dedicated tom stand from Tama. It uses a 10.5mm rod, but I think your LCMs have mounting adapters for this? Anyway, I haven't used this stand personally, but people who have seem to be very impressed. It's supposed to be able to go pretty high and stay stable, and of course no basket, so no choke. Might be worth checking out.

I've been considering this Pearl stand if I ever go back to a single tom in a snare basket. It has the same Air Suspension tips as the one you posted, but this one is less than half the price. And I'm sure it will hold a 13" tom just fine. I have absolutely no experience with it though.

I use the Atlas Classic flat base snare stand for my rack tom, as part of my gigging hardware pack. It's got thicker and softer rubber basket tips than your run of the mill snare stand, and the tilter is a little offset so I can bring the tom over the kick a little.

I tried the fancy schmancy 9399 tom stand, and while it was cool it didn't seem any different from a normal 9000 snare stand when you actually put it on the kit, and it weighed about twelve pounds.

The Ludwig doesn't go nearly high enough for a rack tom IMO. I sit pretty low, and it's barely high enough as a snare stand with snares shallower than 5 inch. So I replaced the tripod with a 9000 tripod, and now it's my favorite snare stand.

Of those three, I'd go with the Pearl 1030.

Last edited:
I've been considering this Pearl stand if I ever go back to a single tom in a snare basket. It has the same Air Suspension tips as the one you posted, but this one is less than half the price. And I'm sure it will hold a 13" tom just fine. I have absolutely no experience with it though.

I have my snare on that stand. It’s rock solid and tall enough for a tom but the Air Suspension rubber is not super soft. I don’t know how it would compare to Booty Shakers. The rubber is about as stiff as the Pearl Air tom feet. Probably the same material.

I have my snare on that stand. It’s rock solid and tall enough for a tom but the Air Suspension rubber is not super soft. I don’t know how it would compare to Booty Shakers. The rubber is about as stiff as the Pearl Air tom feet. Probably the same material.
Does it help isolate your snare from the stand, or is that rubber material too hard for that?

I've had a DW5000 for nearly 20 years and it's still doing okay. It's relegated to no more travel because it's dented and warped in places that always make it settle in one position (probably from me over torqueing) which can be annoying live when you need to make a minor adjustment, but in the day it did 100's of shows over a few years and was always rock solid.

Does it help isolate your snare from the stand, or is that rubber material too hard for that?
It probably does even if only because it holds the snare in place with very little pressure. I haven’t compared it to my other stands. I bought it specifically for the tilt adjustment. I doubt if I would even hear a difference on a snare.

Pass on all of the aforementioned models. Go get a TAMA Classic Tom Stand HTS58F. I have one and it works!!! The only mod I did to mine (props to KarlCrafton for the suggestion) was mate a DW 6000 snare stand bottom to the TAMA Classic Tom upper basket assembly.

Check out what this individual posted on YouTube:

Back