Snare stand recommendations for 14x10 tom

C.M. Jones

Check out the Pearl S930D snare stand. It's designed for deeper drums and has a drop basket.

I play my only rack tom in a snare stand, but it's a 12x8. I've never owned a 14x10.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Any recommendations for a specific snare stand to hold a 14x10 tom?
Thanks
The only recommendation is to make certain the result is tall enough for your BD. Many snare stands, when used as a tom basket, will get you up and over a 20 or 22". My Gibraltar is "barely" tall enough to clear a 24"BD when holding a 13x9, and when I say "barely", I could really use another inch or two.

When someone asks me to recommend a brand, I usually just say Yamaha.

Last edited:

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I'm short, but when I play my 26" bass drum with a 14x10 tom, I've had good luck with Pearl's S150 flat based stand. It goes high enough for me. I just flip the legs so they're not flat based, it's more stable that way.

Kolikona

The only recommendation is to make certain the result is tall enough for your BD. Many snare stands, when used as a tom basket, will get you up and over a 20 or 22". My Gibraltar is "barely" tall enough to clear a 24"BD when holding a 13x9, and when I say "barely", I could really use another inch or two.

When someone asks me to recommend a brand, I usually just say Yamaha.

Kolikona

Thanks for that info, much appreciated. I’m using a 26 inch bass drum so I will make sure to do some measuring.

Kolikona

I'm short, but when I play my 26" bass drum with a 14x10 tom, I've had good luck with Pearl's S150 flat based stand. It goes high enough for me. I just flip the legs so they're not flat based, it's more stable that way.
Thanks for your feedback. I also play a 26 bass drum. I will look into the Pearl S150.

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
If you want more resonance from your tom consider the DW 9399. I just picked up one and it opened up my 13" X 9" tom. It's pricey, but I wish I had gotten one sooner.

bongoman

Is this tom going into the up position or the FT position? For up, I recommend the Tama Classic tom stand, because it is tall yet light. For down, I’ve used the Ludwig Atlas Classic, but there are shorter stands out there.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Bo, it's not fully locked down-there's a bit of wiggle room as it sits on the pads--but it's a noticeable sonic difference from using the standard DW snare stand.
Perhaps it’s also the softer rubber? I’ve had cheap stands with hard rubber tips and it was just choke city!

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
Perhaps it’s also the softer rubber? I’ve had cheap stands with hard rubber tips and it was just choke city!
Yeah, it's definitely in the design of the soft neoprene. You've got to make sure the reso hoop falls exactly into place on all three of the neoprene pads otherwise the pads are soft enough to be malformed a bit and could end up touching the reso head choking any resonance from the tom. But once you get the hoop seated on the pads properly, the drum is essentially decoupled from the stand. Not as much resonance as from a RIMS suspension mount, but definitely an improvement over a standard snare drum stand.