Snare stand questions

Jml

Yesterday I discovered my 12” snare drum on the ground. It had tipped over while sitting on my Yamaha Crosstown snare stand. First, it’s a 12x5 maple snare - not a 14x8 steel snare, so it’s not really heavy. Secondly, it was tilted slightly toward the drum throne (top slightly higher than bottom). So now I’m questioning the stand itself, and legs/arms on snare stands in general.

1. Anyone with Crosstown snare stand experience slipping/issues with stability or holding the snare?

2. What is the most stable configuration for arms and legs on snare stand? If you’re looking at an empty snare stand, are the arms in a Y or an upside down Y formation? Something else?
What about the legs - Y/upside down Y/something else?

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I like 2 towards me, 1 away. Sort of like a guitar stand.

Does your stand tightly grip a 12" snare or no?

No Way Jose

Silver Member
My snare stand never falls over by itself. Do you have a dog or cat that might knock things over?

Jml

My snare stand never falls over by itself. Do you have a dog or cat that might knock things over?
I have a cat but she didn’t do it. Door was closed. I’m wondering if the light weight of the stand makes it more likely to tip over.

Jml

Like most snare stands, the crosstown has an “offset” to it. There is horizontal bar, that can act as “lever,” which performs the offset. If the offset lever is lined up with and above a leg, the offset is stabilized. If the lever is directly between two legs, there is less stabilization. If the snare is tilted along the line of the lever, the weight of the snare further enhances the lever effect.

If all the wrong factors are there, the stand would be “more likely” to tip over.

... were the legs extended as far out as possible? Is the snare height fairly high?

... plus uneven carpet could factor in.

... or your snare was tired of the physical abuse and was trying to escape.

Not exactly sure how the lever was set, which is why I asked about optimal positioning to prevent this from happening again. The legs were extended fairly wide to prevent slipping. It was not set high (I’m not a tall guy). It was on a rug on a flat surface.

Jml

My biggest concern is these lightweight snare stands are “too” light and are more prone to tipping. Obviously less stable than a regular snare stand.