Snare Stand for Tom

BrokenStick

Wondering what stands are best for holding an 8x12 mounted tom. Stability? Almost wishing I had drilled the shells for mounts.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
This is what I use and I love it !
Because of the arm design I can lay my tom into it and not have to tighten the arms around the tom.
Thereby allowing the tom to resonate, preventing choking of the drum.

71nIQ+Cda6L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Attachments

• 71nIQ+Cda6L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71nIQ+Cda6L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 3

BrokenStick

Ooops Sorry. I put the link in my post but it got lost,

Go here: Tama Tom Stand

Ha. I guessed it. Except I would have bet the snare stand over the tom. I have the pack. I think the snare stand would be stable enough. I will try it as a tom holder. I think it will be plenty high enough. I don't think I will need the extra height that the tom stand affords. I had flashbacks when I pulled that Classic snare stand out. It looks almost identical to the Ludwig stand I had back in Fifth Grade Band. Almost made me wish I had bought Ludwig drums instead of Gretsch.

Frosticles

Silver Member
I use a Yamaha Crosstown Snare Stand with 'Bootie-Shakers' fitted :)

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
Another vote for the TAMA Classic Tom Stand. It opens up the tone of the tom with absolutely no choking.
As far as stability goes, it depends on how heavy a hitter you are. I married the TAMA snare basket and upper
tube with the lower part of a DW6000 series snare stand (primarily for looks to match my other DW hardware)
and even though the DW has a smaller overall footprint for the base legs it's plenty stable for my needs. For the
record I'm using a 13" tom.

I used the DW9399 Tom/Snare stand for about a year prior to getting the TAMA Classic Tom Stand. It is heavy duty
and rock solid. It doesn't get much better for stability. But you have to be extremely careful that the rubber booties
that cradle the drum need to be spot on or else they will make contact with the reso head and choke the drum. The
DW6399 opens up the drum a tad, but nothing anywhere near the TAMA Classic Tom Stand. The TAMA stand produces
the same tone if you were holding the tom by hand and striking the batter.

BrokenStick

Another vote for the TAMA Classic Tom Stand. It opens up the tone of the tom with absolutely no choking.
As far as stability goes, it depends on how heavy a hitter you are. I married the TAMA snare basket and upper
tube with the lower part of a DW6000 series snare stand (primarily for looks to match my other DW hardware)
and even though the DW has a smaller overall footprint for the base legs it's plenty stable for my needs. For the
record I'm using a 13" tom.
Pretty light hitter--as light as I can go and trying for less all the time.

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
Pretty light hitter--as light as I can go and trying for less all the time.

If you're a light hitter the TAMA Classic Tom Stand should be amply stable. On the plus side it weighs very little.