Snare stand for a 22" snare drum?

alp

Hello,
I am working on an experimental drum kit. I have a 22" snare. I was wondering if anyone knows a snare stand for large drums, toms? I tried a tom holder but it is not stable enough. I know A&F has a stand but I was wondering if there are any others. Please let me know if you know. Thank you.

I don't know about stand but you could look for how people use bass drums as "gong drums" - How deep is that "snare"? If it's very deep, you might be able to use long floor tom legs.
BTW: Where do you get resonant heads and wires for this thing?!?

I would drill it for three or four Floor Tom legs and please let me know where your snare wires come from. sorry Swiss....wrote before I read your reply. I've never heard a snare drum tuned to JAW. I was going to try a 16 inch floor tom with snares but sold the tom.

I don't think a 22" snare drum would fit comfortably where a snare drum normally goes.

Unless you are good at splits.

You would need to invent an adapter that fits on a regular snare drum stand, or invent something totally new that puts it where it can be played comfortably.

I don't think the leg spread of a current snare stand is enough to stabilize a 22" snare drum.

You'd probably have to fashion snare wires too.

I wonder if current snare strainers can take the strain of snare wires across a 22" drum.

I'm trying to imagine what a 22" snare drum would sound like, but I keep throwing up in my mouth a little.

Why do you want to do this again?

Put those legs that screw on lug hardware. Then start figuring how to travel or use anything but that big mamma

Well now I feel the challenge to turn a 10 or 12 in snare into a bass drum. Seems a turnabout is fair play. I have to admit I'd like to hear that big mamma. Speaking of which have you named your snare. May I suggest "Big Mamma" or MOAS-Mother of all Snares. Of course you have to have a reso head with a port hole-so she can give birth to smaller snares. You know this could be like the Goose that laid the Golden eggs if she makes high end snares. I want one!!!!

I wonder if current snare strainers can take the strain of snare wires across a 22" drum

This brings up a good point. The longer the span, the more tension needed to take up the slack. However, guitar strings span longer and stay taught, so I don't think that would be an issue. I think the issue would be the shell. It might need a truss rod for lateral support so it doesn't go out of round. Or a frame system like the Dynasonic. I think twin throwoffs (one each side) might be a good idea also. Having 2 cuts the stress of each by half compared to only one, which means both together should* be able to put twice as much tension on the wires as one.

*Obviously the wires will play a part in the amount of tension also, a nice thin wire will require less than a big fat wire, more wires require more than less wires. Regardless of anything, the throwoff on this thing should be special forces tuff.

I don't think a 22" snare drum would fit comfortably where a snare drum normally goes.

Unless you are good at splits.

You would need to invent an adapter that fits on a regular snare drum stand, or invent something totally new that puts it where it can be played comfortably.

I don't think the leg spread of a current snare stand is enough to stabilize a 22" snare drum.

I wonder if current snare strainers can take the strain of snare wires across a 22" drum.

I'm trying to imagine what a 22" snare drum would sound like, but I keep throwing up in my mouth a little.

Why do you want to do this again?
Now that's funny ( good at splits)

Black Swamp and Pearl have tripod legs designed to mount a bass drum horizontally. These would probably work well for this application. Cant wait to hear how this will sound!!

Imagine playing brushes on that thing!

You'd need a set of full sized straw brooms just to be heard.

You'd also need one drummer for the right brush and another drummer for the left brush........the coordination would be a killer.

Imagine playing brushes on that thing!

You'd need a set of full sized straw brooms just to be heard.

You'd also need one drummer for the right brush and another drummer for the left brush........the coordination would be a killer.

Actually... That would be a fun one to pull out with a few competent brush players to share. YouTube worthy at least

Back