Snare stand for a 22" snare drum?

alp

Hello,
I am working on an experimental drum kit. I have a 22" snare. I was wondering if anyone knows a snare stand for large drums, toms? I tried a tom holder but it is not stable enough. I know A&F has a stand but I was wondering if there are any others. Please let me know if you know. Thank you.

I don't know about stand but you could look for how people use bass drums as "gong drums" - How deep is that "snare"? If it's very deep, you might be able to use long floor tom legs.
BTW: Where do you get resonant heads and wires for this thing?!?

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I would drill it for three or four Floor Tom legs and please let me know where your snare wires come from. sorry Swiss....wrote before I read your reply. I've never heard a snare drum tuned to JAW. I was going to try a 16 inch floor tom with snares but sold the tom.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I don't think a 22" snare drum would fit comfortably where a snare drum normally goes.

Unless you are good at splits.

You would need to invent an adapter that fits on a regular snare drum stand, or invent something totally new that puts it where it can be played comfortably.

I don't think the leg spread of a current snare stand is enough to stabilize a 22" snare drum.

You'd probably have to fashion snare wires too.

I wonder if current snare strainers can take the strain of snare wires across a 22" drum.

I'm trying to imagine what a 22" snare drum would sound like, but I keep throwing up in my mouth a little.

Why do you want to do this again?

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Well now I feel the challenge to turn a 10 or 12 in snare into a bass drum. Seems a turnabout is fair play. I have to admit I'd like to hear that big mamma. Speaking of which have you named your snare. May I suggest "Big Mamma" or MOAS-Mother of all Snares. Of course you have to have a reso head with a port hole-so she can give birth to smaller snares. You know this could be like the Goose that laid the Golden eggs if she makes high end snares. I want one!!!!

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member

I wonder if current snare strainers can take the strain of snare wires across a 22" drum
This brings up a good point. The longer the span, the more tension needed to take up the slack. However, guitar strings span longer and stay taught, so I don't think that would be an issue. I think the issue would be the shell. It might need a truss rod for lateral support so it doesn't go out of round. Or a frame system like the Dynasonic. I think twin throwoffs (one each side) might be a good idea also. Having 2 cuts the stress of each by half compared to only one, which means both together should* be able to put twice as much tension on the wires as one.

*Obviously the wires will play a part in the amount of tension also, a nice thin wire will require less than a big fat wire, more wires require more than less wires. Regardless of anything, the throwoff on this thing should be special forces tuff.

mrjones

I don't think a 22" snare drum would fit comfortably where a snare drum normally goes.

Unless you are good at splits.

You would need to invent an adapter that fits on a regular snare drum stand, or invent something totally new that puts it where it can be played comfortably.

I don't think the leg spread of a current snare stand is enough to stabilize a 22" snare drum.

I wonder if current snare strainers can take the strain of snare wires across a 22" drum.

I'm trying to imagine what a 22" snare drum would sound like, but I keep throwing up in my mouth a little.

Why do you want to do this again?
Now that's funny ( good at splits)

vindrums

Black Swamp and Pearl have tripod legs designed to mount a bass drum horizontally. These would probably work well for this application. Cant wait to hear how this will sound!!

Benthedrummer

Imagine playing brushes on that thing!

You'd need a set of full sized straw brooms just to be heard.

You'd also need one drummer for the right brush and another drummer for the left brush........the coordination would be a killer.

roncadillac

Imagine playing brushes on that thing!

You'd need a set of full sized straw brooms just to be heard.

You'd also need one drummer for the right brush and another drummer for the left brush........the coordination would be a killer.
Actually... That would be a fun one to pull out with a few competent brush players to share. YouTube worthy at least