Snare Set Advice Needed for Vintage Acrolite

bodhran

I have a '67 Acrolite that I need to replace the snares on.
I have a Remo Coated Ambassador on the batter side and a Remo Hazy on the bottom.
Not sure what the snare strand count was originally, but would like to get something similar.
I can't go by the set on there now as it's a mangled 16 wire non-Ludwig brand set.
Your advice is appreciated!

IBitePrettyHard

My 70s Acrolite originally came with 12 strand wires like this. They would twist when they were loose and sounded terrible.

I recently restored my Acrolite and upgraded to PureSound 20 strand. They sound awesome. Highly recommended.

You would get similar results with 12 or 16 or 20 strand PureSound wires. The difference is subtle.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJK

Old Dog new Cans

PureSounds, definitely good quality. Sabian makes really nice snare wires as does Fat Cat. Not sure if you were looking for something more "Ludwig like" if there is such a thing. Good luck.

Reactions: TJK

KamaK

Platinum Member
20 strands appears to be the upper limit of the bed geometry on the Acro. If anyone is thinking about trying out a wider mega-48-strand or something, you might put that notion to rest now.

I'd be curious to see if others came to a similar conclusion.

yammyfan

20 strands appears to be the upper limit of the bed geometry on the Acro. If anyone is thinking about trying out a wider mega-48-strand or something, you might put that notion to rest now.

I have 42 wires beneath my Acrolite. Sounds great and sensitive as all get out. Hardly any sympathetic buzz from the rest of the kit, either (y)

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Gibraltar makes a 16 strand set that I really like. Nothing fancy, just a little less "wet" sounding than the typical 20 strand sound that lets a little more shell sound come through.

yammyfan

I think you might be right, after all...

While the wide snare wires fit perfectly and sounded great to me, my bandmates reported that the snare sound was a bit much on stage - too much of a good thing, I guess.

Anyway, I removed the 42 strand set and replaced it with the factory wires. The drum doesn't sound one bit worse for it, either (y)