Snare reso was destruction - help!

AJ3000

Silver Member
I'll keep it short, every 8-10 gigs I'm blowing a snare drum reso head and it's driving me crazy. No matter what I try tuning wise they just keep going. Has anyone had an issue like this before? I think it is the edges of the snare wire (the metal plate that it's all soldered on to) is actually piercing the head when I crack it. It's driving me insane!!!! Please help!

Boom

Silver Member
You hit on one of the possible fixes. Without your deduction, I would have suggested you checked the snares to see if they are puncturing the head. Is this problem ever happening on other snare drums or just the one?

If you believe it is the snares, just buy new ones. You can get puresound 20 snares for under $20 many places. Check the reso bearing edge too to makes sure there are no sharp anomalies causing this. It certainly isn't normal.

I guess you could have some incredible ability to crank the reso head down so tight that it doesn't pop immediately and yet can't last 10 shows, but that seems incredibly unlikely.

Check the snare wire or strap also. Not sure what you are using, and most cord would be incapable of causing the problem, but maybe you are using some kind of hardcore strap that can cause it?

markdrum

Silver Member
Check the plate on the snares. I've had one cut through the reso head when the snares were cranked down pretty tightly. This was on a Tama snare with an Ambassador snare side head. The plate that the snares are soldered was digging into the reso head and it cut a nice little divot into it. I'm not sure if it was the plate or the head as I switched both out. I was using the standard snare strap. I checked the snare bearing edge and the snare beds and they all seemed okay.

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
I think it is the edges of the snare wire (the metal plate that it's all soldered on to) is actually piercing the head when I crack it. It's driving me insane!!!! Please help!

You can use a metal file on the wire tips if they're sticking through the solder sharply, being careful and you can get it baby smooth n' flat.

if you're using plastic tape to hold the wires to the strainer/but, make sure its centered through the snare gate (in the rim) and centered on/through the wire sets slots, otherwise if off center there could be some twisting which can dig-in an edge.

AJ3000

Silver Member
I think it is the plates that's causing it.

I have had this problem on my last 2 snares though, one which I borrowed from a shop, and my current SJC. I'll try a different set of wires and see I that makes a difference. Cheers people!

AJ3000

Silver Member
Initially I thought snare wires too. But now this has me wondering. How tight are you cranking that reso?
At first this was my thought (although I have tunes this way without a hitch for years) but, using last night as an example, it was not that tight at all - you could press a finger into the head by the lug and feel noticeable play in the head with very light pressure. It was not far above JAW if I'm honest. I have inspected the plates on the snare wire and the edges of it turn in towards the head slightly. I can also see damage on the head away from the failure point consistent with this being the cause. Switch the wire and see what happens.

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
It was not far above JAW if I'm honest.

Hmmmm. Too loose and a bottom head is more prone to breaking, it has more travel, could stretch the wires, if then, they'd have more travel, could make contact out of phase with the head and the thinner the bottom... well, you get it.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
It was not far above JAW if I'm honest.

Hmmmm. Too loose and a bottom head is more prone to breaking, it has more travel, could stretch the wires, if then, they'd have more travel, could make contact out of phase with the head and the thinner the bottom... well, you get it.
A very good point! ------------------

AJ3000

Silver Member
Sorry, reading back it wasn't very clear. What I meant to say was I have tried it in a range of tunings and nothing seems to make a difference. I switched the wires last night and there are no signs of wear. As my other post mentions I now have an entirely different, and much more serious, problem......