SnareProject023.jpg

My throw off went from this:
SnareProject032.jpg

To this:
WalnutSnare188.jpg

Here is the shell:
WalnutSnare163.jpg

WalnutSnare145.jpg

I think I'm going to do one more coat on this thing.

After that I'm just waiting for the Lugs to show up.

:)

If only my first stave snare had looked this good by the time I was done with it......
anyway, excellent work man! Your making quite the beauty there, I'm sure the sound will match the looks!

I saw this a few days ago but forgot to comment...

Great looking snare. That's especially nice that your father helped you with it. I would really like to add a stave snare to my collection but that's 3 or 4 spaces down the line.

What really caught my eye was that throw-off. Did you just polish that up of actually have it chromed? I'd very much appreciate some more details on that because I'd love to shine the Trick t/o up on my snare to match the chromed lugs.

...I'd probably have to take it to a body shop though because I really don't have the tools to polish it up at home.

I saw this a few days ago but forgot to comment...

Great looking snare. That's especially nice that your father helped you with it. I would really like to add a stave snare to my collection but that's 3 or 4 spaces down the line.

What really caught my eye was that throw-off. Did you just polish that up of actually have it chromed? I'd very much appreciate some more details on that because I'd love to shine the Trick t/o up on my snare to match the chromed lugs.

...I'd probably have to take it to a body shop though because I really don't have the tools to polish it up at home.

Actually, my Dad didn't help me with this at all. I don't think I said anything about my Dad helping me. Not that he wouldn't. I just didn't ask. I did borrow his portable router table. :)

Any way, I just polished the Trick up myself. No chrome.
I started with some 320 and got the brush marks out of it and then went to 400 and then to 600 and then to a sisal wheel with fine rouge the to a loose flannel wheel with even finer rouge.

It looks pretty good. I was going to keep going but I got bored. :)

Actually, my Dad didn't help me with this at all. I don't think I said anything about my Dad helping me. Not that he wouldn't. I just didn't ask. I did borrow his portable router table. :)

Oops... I'm an idiot. I had this thread mistaken with the guy from Europe that did a stave kit. His father helped him with it.

I think I will ask a body shop to see what they'd ask to polish my t/o up like that. I don't think I'm coordinated enough to do it myself.

What kind of lugs are you going to put on this baby?

I bet you guys who build your own drums get a bit nervous before taking that first hit once it's all finished, right? ;)

I'm really intrigued by this, I don't have much knowledge of woodworking so every step from cutting the staves perfectly, gluing them to a perfect circle, lathing and then cutting the edges (!!!) really impresses me :)

Thanks for the comments.

I didn't put any thoughts into the grains.

I just randomly put them together.

:)

So far so good.

I like the way it sounds.

It sounds like a snare should.

I haven't settled down on the tuning yet.

I'm trying to keep it kinda low.

I'll post a video clip later tonight when I get a chance.

Back