Snare Project

macr0w

Here are a few progress pics.

Hardware:

My throw off went from this:

To this:

Here is the shell:

I think I'm going to do one more coat on this thing.

After that I'm just waiting for the Lugs to show up.

:)

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
That's a really superb job on buffing the strainer & butt. Great looking shell too. Now you're getting to the fun bit, the bit that makes it all worthwhile. Exciting eh!

bamdrummer

If only my first stave snare had looked this good by the time I was done with it......
anyway, excellent work man! Your making quite the beauty there, I'm sure the sound will match the looks!

Red Menace

Platinum Member
I saw this a few days ago but forgot to comment...

Great looking snare. That's especially nice that your father helped you with it. I would really like to add a stave snare to my collection but that's 3 or 4 spaces down the line.

What really caught my eye was that throw-off. Did you just polish that up of actually have it chromed? I'd very much appreciate some more details on that because I'd love to shine the Trick t/o up on my snare to match the chromed lugs.

...I'd probably have to take it to a body shop though because I really don't have the tools to polish it up at home.

macr0w

I saw this a few days ago but forgot to comment...

Great looking snare. That's especially nice that your father helped you with it. I would really like to add a stave snare to my collection but that's 3 or 4 spaces down the line.

What really caught my eye was that throw-off. Did you just polish that up of actually have it chromed? I'd very much appreciate some more details on that because I'd love to shine the Trick t/o up on my snare to match the chromed lugs.

...I'd probably have to take it to a body shop though because I really don't have the tools to polish it up at home.
Actually, my Dad didn't help me with this at all. I don't think I said anything about my Dad helping me. Not that he wouldn't. I just didn't ask. I did borrow his portable router table. :)

Any way, I just polished the Trick up myself. No chrome.
I started with some 320 and got the brush marks out of it and then went to 400 and then to 600 and then to a sisal wheel with fine rouge the to a loose flannel wheel with even finer rouge.

It looks pretty good. I was going to keep going but I got bored. :)

Red Menace

Platinum Member
Actually, my Dad didn't help me with this at all. I don't think I said anything about my Dad helping me. Not that he wouldn't. I just didn't ask. I did borrow his portable router table. :)
Oops... I'm an idiot. I had this thread mistaken with the guy from Europe that did a stave kit. His father helped him with it.

I think I will ask a body shop to see what they'd ask to polish my t/o up like that. I don't think I'm coordinated enough to do it myself.

What kind of lugs are you going to put on this baby?

kettles

Gold Member
I bet you guys who build your own drums get a bit nervous before taking that first hit once it's all finished, right? ;)

I'm really intrigued by this, I don't have much knowledge of woodworking so every step from cutting the staves perfectly, gluing them to a perfect circle, lathing and then cutting the edges (!!!) really impresses me :)

uniongoon

Gold Member
Nice first drum, great job. Do you notice the grain on the staves, did you put thought into matching up pieces so they flow and look like one piece? I am putting one together now, and I cant see of find many of the seams. Making it hard for measuring out for hardware, but this is ideal for final look.

macr0w

Thanks for the comments.

I didn't put any thoughts into the grains.

I just randomly put them together.

:)

macr0w

So far so good.

I like the way it sounds.

It sounds like a snare should.

I haven't settled down on the tuning yet.

I'm trying to keep it kinda low.

I'll post a video clip later tonight when I get a chance.