Snare Position

This is how I typically play my snare drums, I've probably been doing it this way since day 1. It's very comfortable for me and I never miss a rim shot. At this angle It feels natural playing off the snare into my rack toms. With the height I sit above the kit, It feels as if I have full control over the entire surface of the head playing with either sticks or brushes.

DSC_0577-1.jpg

Dennis

That's pretty much the exact angle on mine.

Al, Wailin will be fine, no matter what his setup - he's indestructible!

He's certainly immune to the sticks and stones of public opinion!

Does using the cross stick technique ever come in to play for most of you when you set up? If you use it enough, then your drum needs to be a little higher to keep you from leaning over for any period of time and straining your back.

If you really want to talk drums and cymbals and other assorted percussions angles within a kit, this one drummer had to have serious thought about it, still mostly unplayable (for me at least)

:)

Attachments

• mark-04.jpg
    mark-04.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 15,600
I agree that bad snare angle seems very ergonomically incorrect and could lead to physically issues down the line.

On the other hand, Kenny Arnoff plays his snare at quite an angle, and he's one of the busiest touring and session drummers out there, and he is someone who keeps himself in top physical shape.

KENNYARONOFF.jpg

KennyAronoff.jpg

So, go figure...

To be honest, I dont know how or why Nicko would set up that way. His kit is the worst looking setup ergonomically and just plain ugly to me. The guy gets it done in style so I guess I can shove it but man every time I see it I am thinking WTF.

I used to play with my snare perfectly level so I could pop off rimshots all the time, but as my playing has developed, I no longer feel the need for rimshots every time so my snare is angled towards me slightly. (perhaps just a little bit less than audiotechs's, and in the other direction.)

Also I find that I've been slowly moving back from my kit. I use a smaller snare now (12" as my main) so I find that I can sit a bit further back but still have my rack tom closer to me.

-Jonathan

I guess mines about normal snare tilt. i never really thought about it much this is the way i have always played

Attachments

• pearl masters drum set 003 (800x600).jpg
    pearl masters drum set 003 (800x600).jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 1,931
Over the years, my snare began to slightly tilt toward me,like this.
522421_3481455992550_946988784_n.jpg

I recently flattened it out again and i think I am going to keep it that way.

I agree that having the snare angled so much while it is set up relatively low to the waist can't be the best, most efficient way of playing. Some ways of snare set up are subjective or dependent upon stick grip, but that set up is not one of them!

Nicko McBrain's set up isn't as bad, the snare is extremely angled, but it's high enough where he can still rim shot without dropping his hand below his waist and angle-ing his stick upwards.

I remember when I was younger I went to a jam where the drummer had his drums set up Rise Against style, I kept thinking "This is unplayable!!!!" so when I finally went up I had psyched myself out so much that I did play like crap haha.

I suck at hitting properly executed rim shots which is why I tilt the snare forwards rather then towards me. Plus its more comfortable when using traditional grip. I guess it depends on how high you're sitting that gets people to adjust snare positions accordingly.

never made sense to me either my man

every time I see a drummer with his snare really low and angled toward him to the point where his hand is going below his crotch to pop a rim shot and his wrist is contorting in all kinds of directions just to achieve that stroke it drives me crazy

I'm very much a to each his own type of person.....but this is one thing almost gets me to the point of speaking to the person about it every time I see it

mostly simply for future health reasons

Agreed, I always play the snare naval level and flat, maybe a slight tilt depending on the snare I'm playing.

What's that? Snare and toms at awkward angles? Health problems looming in the future? Hmmmm...

SANY0156.jpg

Wailin' is in another universe. Angle issues do not apply.

A friend who is a really good drummer also sets up like that. He maintains that it is a more natural angle for the hand, and that people with flat snares are breaking their wrist downwards which will create problems for them. But he is one of those folks who sits really low, in spite of being 6'2. How he gets blazing fast triplets out of his foot like that I'll never know, but that's another discussion. For folks that play the left hand with a French grip and the snare up relatively high and flat, it's pretty easy to break the wrist over. Unless you really have the stick out in your finger tips.

Also I just noticed that Lars has his snare at quite an angle though not as steep as Nicko's.

l.jpg

I agree that bad snare angle seems very ergonomically incorrect and could lead to physically issues down the line.

On the other hand, Kenny Arnoff plays his snare at quite an angle, and he's one of the busiest touring and session drummers out there, and he is someone who keeps himself in top physical shape.

KENNYARONOFF.jpg

KennyAronoff.jpg

So, go figure...

My tom angles and snare angle are almost identical to this set up. I do, however have trouble with a traditional grip with the snare at this angle. If I played more with that grip, I'd probably level out the snare for more of a controlled feel.

I don't think as much of it on injuries as I do general difficulty to play.
If you had your snare drum and throne adjusted at the right height with each other, I can see how you'd be perfectly find playing that way. I just don't understand how it's done.

Like people who sit low at their kit. I don't mean super low, I mean normal people who's legs are almost parallel to the floor. I can't play that way. I have to be up pretty high to feel comfortable getting around my drums.

Back