Snare made out of a wheel of a Ford automobile!

Kothlow

That is awesome, if thats the snare in the background, it sounds great. I may take this project on, I can just go in my shop on a day off and make all the hardware, it would just cost me heads :D

joshisaces

Gold Member
That's the first thought that I had after working on cars for 35 years. I would think that it weighs about 15 lbs or more. Is there any info on what it weighs? I like it just the same though. Cool idea!
Actually, the man who built it said it was quite light and wasn't as heavy as it looked...

mind_drummer

Platinum Member
First it's an Aluminum wheel and here the builder quote:

The weight?
Less heavy than the Paiste S-Bronze

Ford RX2 home made14"x6" aluminium wheel
Power hoops - Batter head : Evans Genera HD Dry - Reso head : Hazy 300 - snare wire: Puresound 20 strands

UNEDITED SAMPLE

EDITED SAMPLE

zambizzi

Platinum Member
It looks like he didn't do any finishing work on the edges. I wonder how it affects the sound, tuning, etc.

The lugs look like they allow very little by the way of tensioning, too. He can't screw in very far before the ends of the rods meet.

I'm also guessing that the sound would be tamed quite a bit by the shape - which would obstruct the air moving through the drum.

I couldn't watch the video so I'm making assumptions based on the pics.

Not a bad idea though...very creative and original!

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
It looks like he didn't do any finishing work on the edges. I wonder how it affects the sound, tuning, etc.

The lugs look like they allow very little by the way of tensioning, too. He can't screw in very far before the ends of the rods meet.

I'm also guessing that the sound would be tamed quite a bit by the shape - which would obstruct the air moving through the drum.

I couldn't watch the video so I'm making assumptions based on the pics.

Not a bad idea though...very creative and original!
I thought the same as you did on all points. It is more of a conversation piece I imagine! I don't think that we will be seeing it at Sam Ash very soon.

I cut the center out of an old 14 inch aluminum wheel today at work. It weighed only about 6 Lbs without anything else on it. With lugs and rims it will probably come in at 10 Lbs or so.