Snare Hum, not buzz

TWerner

So I wanted to tweak the tuning on my son's snare a little to decrease what I though was sympathetic snare buzz. To a degree, what I was hearing was sympathetic buzz, but there is also an odd hum or harmonic.
If I turn the drum over than tap on the brass plate metal ends of the snare wire with a fingernail, it makes a sound like a monster mosquito nnnnNnNNnNNNnNNnNnnNnnnnnn

Anyone know how to minimize this?

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
So I wanted to tweak the tuning on my son's snare a little to decrease what I though was sympathetic snare buzz. To a degree, what I was hearing was sympathetic buzz, but there is also an odd hum or harmonic.
If I turn the drum over than tap on the brass plate metal ends of the snare wire with a fingernail, it makes a sound like a monster mosquito nnnnNnNNnNNNnNNnNnnNnnnnnn

Anyone know how to minimize this?
I can only assume it's one or more wires either under tensioned and/or being held slightly off the reso head.

As It would annoy the crap out of me, I suggest the sledge hammer permanent fixing method ;)

Seriously, sometimes wires can stretch/warp unevenly. When you slack the wires off, do they still look even & straight? Try changing wires & see if it still happens. At least that way you can include/exclude the drum itself.

TWerner

Teach it the words so it won't have to do than anymore. You're welcome.
Clever.

Anyway, I took off the snare wires and didn't see anything odd about them. I had touched up the tuning before I made the initial post, but since the snare was off, I did it again and also brought the pitch up some. Put the wires back on and the weird hum was gone.

Makes me wonder if the reso head, or one of the lugs was tuned to in sympathy to the snare wires? That's probably too much physics to dwell on, but once again, a funny snare sound was due to tuning.

I did figure out it was the plate metal end that was causing the hum, not the wires. I could stop it immediately by touching the end plates, but not by touching the actual wires.

Sorry for the wasted band width.

J

joshhlegg

I once had this problem - it was caused by the wires being unevenly tensioned. I had to take them off then put them back on again properly to fix it.

KONA

Silver Member
I've cut a wire off here and there on some of my snare drum snares and it worked for me. I am having sympathetic buzz troubles with a 48 Gretsch BroadKaster right now........still have not found the answer. I've tried everything....the only thing left is change the strainer.

1) make sure the wires aren't defective
2) center them on the drum/snare beds
3) maybe back off slightly on the t-rods at the snare beds. I don't like doing this but it does help sometimes
4) tuning the toms/bass up slightly helps.
5) The snare-tuning guy - Bob G, suggests to clip a wire or two off sometimes.....

Try a coated head on the snare side too. I don't know why but sometimes I find the clear thin heads like to buzz more.........just a thought. None of this has worked with my 40's Gretsch though. Time to change my throwoff I guess.