Snare Help!

CreeplyTuna

Silver Member
I just got a 13 x 7 Pork pie Maple Little Squealer, and it sounds fantastic, plus I got it used so free slightly worn heads and pure sound blaster wires.

My problem is I like don't like how much sustain there is. Could someone recommend me wires or heads to cut down the sustain, I'd really appreciate it. For reference, I like my snares to crack sharply, not like piercingly sharp, but just not boingy.

What heads are on it now?

Try any number of pre-muffled heads that are available. Pinstripes, PS3's etc. Evans have a heap too, but I'm not familiar with them. I'm sure someone who is will chime in for you though.

What heads are on it now?

Try any number of pre-muffled heads that are available. Pinstripes, PS3's etc. Evans have a heap too, but I'm not familiar with them. I'm sure someone who is will chime in for you though.

The top is a coated Evans head, not sure which kind, but it's one of their popular ones. A clear Remo Ambassador is on the bottom.

crank your bottom head and the wires, that will give you a short distinct crack with little sustain.

tighten up the snares and get a remo emperor x for the batter. super thick and therefore durable so it will last you a long time if that dosnt work then i sugest an o ring basically cut an o from the old head that is about an inch tick and goes inside the perimeter of the hoop. i wouldn't even dream playing without one now!

I would recommend a pre-muffled head like PFOG rather than cranking up the heads and wires, you don't want to choke or kill the sound. The remo PS3 always does the job for me. The Genera Dry or Genera HD Dry are also good from Evans.

My experience with getting the right snare sound is to make sure the wires are as close to the head as possible. I have found that using a strip cut from an old thin snare head works very well. I allows the wires to be closer to the head. I have tried string, ribbon, etc. but this works best on all my drums from 5.5 x 14 to 3.5 x 13 piccolo. One more hint, make sure the thin head strip is perfectly centered in the snare butt and strainer.

Back