Snare Help

Today, while playing my Mapex Black Panther Sledgehammer, i repositioned the snare on the stand to make it a little bit lower. When i took the snare drum off, i noticed 2 of the snares were broken. I'm not sure if they are broken, but they are definately unattached to the other end. I guess I have to buy new snare wires, but I've never had to do that before and I'm not sure what to buy. Can anybody help? Thanks.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
I'm not sure if they are broken, but they are definately unattached to the other end. I guess I have to buy new snare wires, but I've never had to do that before and I'm not sure what to buy.
If it's unattached at one end, then they are definitely broken.

I'd just replace it with a similar 20 strand wire. Check out Puresound, they're always getting good props here.

Bertram

Silver Member
If you can't wait to play before getting the new ones. Then cut out the two, and the two one in the other side. ( if they're on the same side of the snare... but make it symmetrical )
You might like it if it isn't as crunchy... try out for yourself... Make it a tester :)

That's a good idea. Thanks! I do however have a Mapex Meridian Maple snare that I'm using. When I get my Sledgehammer back up and running, I'm going to make the maple snare my secondary

Bertram

Silver Member
I heard of many people doing so. Haven't tried it myself, but alot of people does it when a 1 or 2 wires are broke. It takes off some crunch. ( cause of the missing wires lol )
But well. If you cut like nr2 from the middle in one side, then do it in the other side too. Symmetrical. I will do it myself. If i ever break a wire. Just be careful not to cut while they're on the drum. Kinda risk breaking the head too.