Snare for every genre

Status
Not open for further replies.
the one that you can change the heads and the tuning on. I have seen everything used for everything.

Genre is determined by the drummer not the snare.

Ask yourself this: If you had to pick one would you choose metal or wood?
Then ask yourself this: If you had to pick a depth would you go with a shallow or deeper snare?
After you narrow that down, go from there.

Genre is determined by the drummer not the snare.

Ask yourself this: If you had to pick one would you choose metal or wood?
Then ask yourself this: If you had to pick a depth would you go with a shallow or deeper snare?
After you narrow that down, go from there.

Would you recommend narrowing it down to material? because one is aluminum, another is chrome over brass and another is straight brass.

I looked at every guitar center within a 1 and a half drive and the only drum I found was the supra.

Fair enough.

I just noticed that all three of your threads relate to various snares though. And most of them, you don't seem to have been able to get a stick to. I just worry that you're falling into the trap of looking to "purchase via internet consensus". It's never the best option. You're never gonna get all players to agree on a single choice. In turn that just makes you second guess yourself and your choices.......as your threads are starting to show........and you tend to end up more confused than when you began.

Actually hitting the things at least gives you the ability to let your own ear decide.

Would you recommend narrowing it down to material? because one is aluminum, another is chrome over brass and another is straight brass.

Well yeah, after you decided wood or metal, then which wood or which metal is the next obvious question. Then depth, depth is a biggie.

And let's not forget the badge.

Not really, as you probably know, that's a thing around here, and I'm just being stupid.

I'll lay money that you'd do well with a Supra, given you never mentioned any wood type, coupled with the fact that you mentioned sensitive, articulate, and crisp, with a nice pop...Heck, Supras invented the pop.

Plus the fact that there's one close by is kind of serendipitous too, wouldn't you agree? Forty billion Supra users (or whatever the hell the number is) can't be wrong, right?

Fair enough.

I just noticed that all three of your threads relate to various snares though. And most of them, you don't seem to have been able to get a stick to. I just worry that you're falling into the trap of looking to "purchase via internet consensus". It's never the best option. You're never gonna get all players to agree on a single choice. In turn that just makes you second guess yourself and your choices.......as your threads are starting to show........and you tend to end up more confused than when you began.

Actually hitting the things at least gives you the ability to let your own ear decide.

You have perfectly described my situation. It is true, but my instructor mentioned he owns a dynasonic so maybe I can ask him how it is or even try it out myself then just guess on the mapex if I like it.

Well yeah, after you decided wood or metal, then which wood or which metal is the next obvious question. Then depth, depth is a biggie.

And let's not forget the badge.

Not really, as you probably know, that's a thing around here, and I'm just being stupid.

I'll lay money that you'd do well with a Supra, given you never mentioned any wood type, coupled with the fact that you mentioned sensitive, articulate, and crisp, with a nice pop...Heck, Supras invented the pop.

Plus the fact that there's one close by is kind of serendipitous too, wouldn't you agree? Forty billion Supra users (or whatever the hell the number is) can't be wrong, right?

Ya, I am more deciding between the dyna and supra then the mapex. Does the supra ring like the cob dyna also Would the aluminum or cob supra fit my description?

Ya, I am more deciding between the dyna and supra then the mapex. Does the supra ring like the cob dyna also Would the aluminum or cob supra fit my description?

Only you know can decide what you're really after. Supra ring is low key and dry. Brass rings way more by comparison to aluminum. The ring is more dominant on a brass drum. Which kind of negates the pop factor. A Supra speaks quick and it's gone, brass lingers a bit. That is a general statement. I can speak about a Supra but not a COB Dyna. I know even less about the Nomad. My guess is the Dyna would behave pretty much like most brass drums, meaning they ring out noticeably over a distance, unmuffled, compared to aluminum.

Try this: Go with your gut and buy one at a GC. Take it home and play it for a week, and if you don't love it, exchange it, repeat if necessary, until you love your snare. The 30 day return policy is good like that, use it.

suggest you find a way to play and hear them with your own ear. If your instructor has one, great, otherwise order online from and keep or return.

I agree you need to play a drum in person, or at the very least play a drum constructed similarly. Just because others like it does not mean it is right for you. I also think there is actually little difference sonically between most drums, more important is how it feels when you play.

I've never played the other two but I own an old late 70s Supra. I love it. It's the 5" deep one. It will tune down low and throaty or high and cracky. A wonderfully versatile, time-tested and durable drum. As Gruntersdad said, all snares can be used for all things but the Supra excels at this IMO.

I own a COB Dynasonic and it is fantastic. I'm really much more of a maple snare guy myself...but I think Dynasonics are some of the best sounding brass snares 1ever made and they can be had at a decent price. Super underrated in my opinion.

I owned a COB Dynasonic, just never fell in love with it. Between the two, the Ludwig gets my vote hands down. Sensitive? I have seen Supras used in Symphony orchestras and concert bands. They are incredibly versatile. Put Diplomat weight rene heads on them, with dry 12-16 strand snares on them and you have a great concert snare. Put a coated amb head on it, you have a great fat sound. Tune high, tune low, change snares, they will do whatever you want. So will the Pearl Sensitone series. Want a more wood-like tone? Look at maple or bronze or copper shell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back