Snare Drums - Updated A/B Demo / Comparison

longgun

Gold Member
This is an updated demo of four of my snares......just to get an idea of the different sounds from each snare.

After some comments on my earlier thread, thought I'd try and adjust and make it a bit better.....Moved them into my "drum room" where the sound is not as reflective....tried tuning them relatively the same for the sake of a comparison.....but it really didn't work out well, so decided to tune each of them to where I felt was optimum for that particular drum.

Still using the camcorder mic, so there is some fidelity lost.....but working on that.

The snares are as follows:

1 - 14 x 5 Ludwig Supraphonic with tube lugs

2 - 14 x 6.5 Ludwig Black Magic

3 - 14 x 6.5 Bearing Edge custom snare

4 - 14 x 8 DW Performance Steel snare

Please forgive the sloppy playing as I've had a few drinks today.....I know....excuses, excuses....

Hope you enjoy this and let me know what you think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWK4ArQZldg&feature=plcp

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Having all four drums in an equal relationship to the mic is a good idea, as it removes a variable. Even accounting for the shortcomings of the camera mic, I thought all four drums were a bit choked, & certainly all at the uppermost range of their tuning. The dry batter head is a useful studio tool, & of course, according to personal preference, but it does take much of the life out of the drum. In combination with the high tuning, I'm not getting much involvement from the shell, & that in turn diminishes the drum's distinctive voice. Again, not an issue if that's the sound you're shooting for, but it does make comparison more difficult.

I tune my main rock gigging snare pretty damn high, but it's designed to be used as such, & I use a coated G1 head on it to bring out resonances & high overtones. I think an overall lower tuning would better highlight the differences between each drum.

All good stuff :)

longgun

Gold Member
Thanks for the comments KIS........never thought I tuned that high, always thought it was a medium-high tension, but I guess everything is relative..........will definitely take a look at that........

I know I'm bucking the system, but I prefer a snare with minimal overtones....some OTs are ok......just dont care for it when a snare is wide open.....now toms are a different thing altogether

hmmmm.....I do have some G1's laying around.....might throw those on the snares and see how they record

jodgey4

Silver Member
Great video, you can really hear the differences. I'd consider it a high tuning, but that's how I like mine, they feel great in that range! The Bearing Edge sounds much better with the new head, though I love Aquarian. Thanks for putting this together! Great ending as well!

cornelius

Silver Member
I'm with KIS on this one... IMO, on the gig, these snares will probably be fine, but for a comparison video, I'm not getting the whole picture.

I also sometimes like less sustain from my snares - I even use the internal muffler on my old Supra and Black Beauty (the horror!). But to level the playing field I think it's cool to get a more mid tuning with a G1 or Ambassador batter. These are nice drums all with wide tuning ranges (can't be said for all drums out there) - could be interesting to hear the drums dropped down a tad...

longgun

Gold Member
Great video, you can really hear the differences. I'd consider it a high tuning, but that's how I like mine, they feel great in that range! The Bearing Edge sounds much better with the new head, though I love Aquarian. Thanks for putting this together! Great ending as well!

Thanks for the comments.......I dont think the Aquarian that was on the BE snaare was meant as a snare head......new Evans sounds much better

I'm with KIS on this one... IMO, on the gig, these snares will probably be fine, but for a comparison video, I'm not getting the whole picture.

I also sometimes like less sustain from my snares - I even use the internal muffler on my old Supra and Black Beauty (the horror!). But to level the playing field I think it's cool to get a more mid tuning with a G1 or Ambassador batter. These are nice drums all with wide tuning ranges (can't be said for all drums out there) - could be interesting to hear the drums dropped down a tad...

Thanks for the comments........I only found two G1's laying around so can't compare all four.....will try two and see what they sound like a little looser and more open.......

Like them all but that Bearing Edge custom snare is really nice.

Thanks.....just picked that up about a month ago......it's a beautiful snare

I agree. the Supra, at least, is really cranked and does sound choked to my ear through the camera.

Thanks wsabol.......think I'll try some lower tunings just for comparisons sake......someday I'll figure out how to use the "real" mics for recording video......It definitely doesn't sound choked, to me, in person.......but when I look at the video, it does sound like a marching snare.

A

audiotech

It sounds to me as if all four snares are a bit choked with no headroom left to breathe. I thought that some of mine were too tight, lol. Some of what I'm hearing could be partially attributed to the room's acoustics.

Dennis

opentune

Platinum Member
thanks again. i have to say the good ole' supra sounds the best, even if they are all tuned high. i've learned from this video i tune lower than most people.
i also have the evans reverse dot on one of my snares and think it absolutely sucks as a snare head. fine in the middle, but hitting off-center gives a crappy sound. Can't beat a g1 or Amb to bring out the life of a snare. good video!

longgun

Gold Member
It sounds to me as if all four snares are a bit choked with no headroom left to breathe. I thought that some of mine were too tight, lol. Some of what I'm hearing could be partially attributed to the room's acoustics.

Dennis

Thanks for the comments....definitely the consensus that they are pretty choked......

thanks again. i have to say the good ole' supra sounds the best, even if they are all tuned high. i've learned from this video i tune lower than most people.
i also have the evans reverse dot on one of my snares and think it absolutely sucks as a snare head. fine in the middle, but hitting off-center gives a crappy sound. Can't beat a g1 or Amb to bring out the life of a snare. good video!

Thanks for the comments........yep, it's my first Supra.....love it. I had an old Sonor snare that sounded decent with the reverse dot, but I can't get any of my other snares to sound decent with it....as you can tell from the video....I like the Evans Dry heads

Bearing Edge custom snare ??

What heads are on that one? Also is that a

http://www.awdrums.com/fr_bearingedge.cfm

It is an Evans Reverse Dot.......Yes, that is the Bearing Edge drums website....bought mine second hand....but it is the same manufacturer

longgun

Gold Member
Just got a new HD dry head in for the Bearing Edge Snare.......can't wait to get home and tune it up

Last edited: