Snare drums 13 x 7

S

sufc.loyal

I play a Saturn 14x5.5 snare drum.

I would like something different.

Tried a Sonor 3007 13x7 snare drum, and when tightend up sounded really nice.

What are your oppionions, and do you have some, and what do yours sound like and are you pleased with them.

Ahhh my fellow Essex brethren.

I own a DDrum Dominion limited edition Maple snare 13 x 7. Its extremely nice, especially when cranked to the max.

Heres a pretty sweet video I found a while ago, the guy has the exact same snare (albeit in a different finish).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSBPVLYwUNM

The sound representation on the clip is extremely close to what mine sounds like and I hope you'll agree it sounds pretty sweet. The best thing about the drum is it only cost £150 (albeit with a bit of haggling involved!)

When I was in PMT last a few weeks ago they had one of the exact same as mine in stock. Not so sure about the Sonor but I'm fairly certain the 3007's are a very decent standard of drum so I'm sure that would serve you well aswell.

Lastly heres a piece of eye candy of the snare I bought. Its a very nice looking drum aswell - its a finish called 'BlackBurst' I believe.

Last edited:
13x7" Pork Pie Brass Patina.

Not only does it look incredible and is built fantastically well - it sounds excellent.

566949jpg.jpg

Thats a lovely looking snare drum Zambizzi, especially like the tube lugs. Bit of a shame that Pork Pie stuff seems to be quite hard to get in Blighty! Only shop that I know which stocks it is Poole Percussion which is quite a way away.

Here's my daughter's Black Panther 13X6 maple snare. Diecast hoops and all.
It's killer - loud and sensitive - sounds really nice, great pop and cuts through. My bass player always grins when I use it - it just cut through (don't tell my daughter I used it!).

I've been wanting a 13" snare too. Just don't have the funds right now. I hear the Yamaha Musashi 13x6.5 is supposed to be a good value.

Ludwig Black Magic comes in 13 x 7 dimension. Have sampled it at a drum shop. Liked it a lot and it's worth a look. I've never played the Pork Pie or Black Panther etc, so I can't compare for you. But it's another one for consideration.

Good looking drum too. http://memphisdrumshop.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=10155

This will definitely be one of my next snares. It's only $25 more than the Pork Pie and comes w/ die cast hoops. And...it's Ludwig!

I didn't think I'd care for the size until I got the Brass Patina...it's a beautiful drum.

aarrhh, dribble, droool, slobber.

Now Spatney, that is a lovely looking snare drum you have, £150 from PMT, thats lovely.

Bought my Saturns from SOS PMT, that is a really good shop, and the service is absolutly good.

I have spent far to much money in that shop for my own good.

Do you have any other detail of the drum on show. That is nice, lucky git.

The Pork Pie and Black Panthers, are lovley looking drums also. would like them all.

May give PMT a Call on your snare thou, Spats.

We're not cockneys, we're Southender's. "ESSEX BOYS"

Its getting a bit crowded in here now.

If you both gig local, let me know, i'll come down and see you, let me know.

I bought an OCDP 13x7 maple snare with die cast hoops last year for about $100. I like having a snare that sounds good cranked and when I want a change up from a bigger snare.

13x7s can be very funky. I like them.

Well as you might have read elswhere, i'm now the very proud owner of an 12" x 7" jarrah ply snare. I've been fooling with the tuning, it goes low for rock, a really nice bassy response, or very high for a good tight crack. The best item ive ever owned.

Didn't know there were two other Southenders on 'ere.

We're like Arriva buses mate. Nothing for ages and then they all come at once!

aarrhh, dribble, droool, slobber.

Now Spatney, that is a lovely looking snare drum you have, £150 from PMT, thats lovely.

Bought my Saturns from SOS PMT, that is a really good shop, and the service is absolutly good.

I have spent far to much money in that shop for my own good.

Do you have any other detail of the drum on show. That is nice, lucky git.

The Pork Pie and Black Panthers, are lovley looking drums also. would like them all.

May give PMT a Call on your snare thou, Spats.

We're not cockneys, we're Southender's. "ESSEX BOYS"

Its getting a bit crowded in here now.

If you both gig local, let me know, i'll come down and see you, let me know.

Yeah it really is a nice sounding and nice looking drum. I know its 'only' a DDrum, and I must admit I have actually had comments made about it because of its make. I don't care that DDrum havent been around for aslong as some manufacturers, and granted their acoustic kits have been known to have a few problems but for the money I paid for it, it makes a fantastic alternative to my regular 14" x 5.5"

Yeah know what you mean about PMT. Sometimes their prices can be a little bit higher than other places so you have to do a bit of research before you go in, but I'm pretty good mates with Nate in the drum department. Tom Winch works there aswell and hes a Mapex endorsed artist and a top geezer aswell. Know what you mean about the money spending though...they actually looked up my spending there in the last 3 years and it was well over £5000!!!!!!

Details on the drum are that its a DDrum Dominion 13 x 7 Limited Edition maple snare. Not so sure why its limited edition but I would imagine its because the finish is maybe a bit rarer? Its 8 plys of Maple and it rocks! The only thing I would DEFINATELY recommend is swapping out the heads because the Remo UK heads that come with it are pretty naff. I use a Controlled Sound on the batter head, and a Evans 300 hazy snare side head - brings out the best in the drum I find.

Yeah I do some gigs locally, I'll drop you a PM next time I'm playing although we havent got any gigs booked in at the moment.

Also, I'm actually planning to go to PMT on sunday morning so maybe I'll see you in there?!

Cheers!

I'm liking the the new black panther "blaster" snare. It's a 13x7. IT's got the S-hoops. I also dig black panther's ability to adjust snare tension on both ends.

Don't have a 13 snare yet but my next 13 should be a gretsch 13" chrome over brass (but with how funds are going, it would be a long time though till I get one).

For some "aural" reason, I like brass in 13".

I've tried the pork pie 13" patina and found it "aggressive" for my tastes the first time. Maybe someday I'll play around with the heads and tuning and see how that changes my perception.

I do not know if this will add anything to the discussion, but I remember being after this size tub awhile back and, during my research, I discovered that this particular size is very popular among young gospel drummers in the US. In fact, if you check the ddrum site, you will see a sizable amount of gospel cats within the ranks, which I'm sure influences the sizes of the drums that they eventually choose to send off to the market. I even discovered that GMS has a 13x7 ash snare drum they call "The Gospel Snare". Not surprisingly, ddrum offers them too.

My 13×7 is a Sonor 2007 Special Edition:

SonorF2007SpecialEdition137_2.jpg

I'm still learning the ins and outs of it, and looking for the perfect head and tuning combo (no shops around here seem to stock heads for 13" snares).

It's a wild little thing and it takes a little taming. Obviously, it sounds best at higher tunings, but it stays lively when pretty loose too, though it does lose some cut and volume. So far I like it best at medium-high, but I am still experimenting.

Last edited:
Ludwig Black Magic comes in 13 x 7 dimension. Have sampled it at a drum shop. Liked it a lot and it's worth a look. I've never played the Pork Pie or Black Panther etc, so I can't compare for you. But it's another one for consideration.

Good looking drum too. http://memphisdrumshop.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=10155

I have the 13 X 7 Black Magic and I highly recommend it. It has a wide tuning range and just sounds good. It has a lot of body.

I've tried the pork pie 13" patina and found it "aggressive" for my tastes the first time. Maybe someday I'll play around with the heads and tuning and see how that changes my perception.

Just out of curiosity, how would you define "aggressive"? Not that it's a bad thing. I find that it blends better w/ not-so-aggressive music, myself. I'll use it in the place of my LM402 when it seems to be overpowering the band.

I find it to have a warm, dark sound with a nice round, fat attack. Crank it up high and it has that hip hop "pop" to it.

Back