Snare drum micing.

simmsdn

Silver Member
I thought it would be interesting to do a quick microphone placement comparison test. Picture is obviously of the mic placement used for this test. Sound file is unaltered (other than conversion from WAV to MP3).

Snare: Pork Pie 5" x 12" Maple (Made by an American)
Mics: Shure SM57

Top mic is running direct into a TASCAM US-1641

Bottom mic is running through an ART Studio MP Pre-amp before going into a line input on the TASCAM US-1641.

Software is Sonar Producer 8.3.1. This is a RAW track (zero effects added, not even compression or EQ).

First is both mics at the same level, then the top mic only, finally bottom mic only.

From now on out when I record, I'm going to be using both mics. I'll probably add another one of these pre-amps to my mic locker, I think it sounds really nice on the snare.

...and yes, I'm due for new heads and snares on this drum...they're a little worn out.

Attachments

• Snare Mic Test.mp3
    1.8 MB · Views: 77
  • DSC_7377.JPG
    DSC_7377.JPG
    255.7 KB · Views: 226

rmandelbaum

Platinum Member
i am sure you know this but for those that do not;

Any time you have two mics facing opposite directions as you do you have to reverse the phase of one of them. the best choice is the bottom mic so all your top mics on the rest of the kit will be fine. and you should not have phase issues.

M

mediocrefunkybeat

That sounds very familiar. I can't help but feel that the first sound is a little too clinical. I wouldn't use it but I would probably use something similar with a little less bottom head.

I'm never entirely convinced by by single drum recordings in isolation. Get some distance on that from the overheads and a bit of room and I'm sure it would sound excellent.

simmsdn

Silver Member
That sounds very familiar. I can't help but feel that the first sound is a little too clinical. I wouldn't use it but I would probably use something similar with a little less bottom head.

I'm never entirely convinced by by single drum recordings in isolation. Get some distance on that from the overheads and a bit of room and I'm sure it would sound excellent.

That's what I do when I actually record for a song/performance: ie mix with overheads, a room mic, and don't gate the other mics so I get a well blended mix of the drums.

Just thought it was interesting and playing with mic placements. I thought it sounds pretty good for absolutely no enhancement, just raw mic. I have the mics at the same level (didn't mix it).

I guess that means the drum is tuned well, mics are placed well, and there are no phase problems. I actually made it for a recording forum (stupid guitarists who try to record drums) and thought I'd throw it up here as well. I'm trying to get people away from crazy amounts of EQ, compression, and gating - get them to tune drums correctly, mic them well, and mix them from there. I'm not crazy, EQ and compression have their place.