Snare Drum Collection Take 2

Dave from Perth

I'm very sorry about that messed first post! I'll try again...

Here are some images of my collection of limited edition DW snare drums. Please enjoy.

25thAnniversary.jpg

25th Anniversary Amber Fiddleback

DSC_0400.jpg

25th Anniversary Craviotto Solid Maple in Natural Fiddleback

25thAnniversaryEdge.jpg

25th Anniversary Edge in Amber Fiddleback

DSC_0401.jpg

30th Anniversary Timeless Timber Birch Candy Fade with Grape Vine Laser Etching

30thAnniversary.jpg

30th Anniversary Timeless Timber Birch Tobacco Burst with Rose Laser Etching

BuddyClassicsPly.jpg

Classics Buddy Rich Model (Ply Version)

BuddyClassicsSolid.jpg

Classics Buddy Rich Model (Solid Maple)

BuddyCommemorative.jpg

Commemorative Buddy Rich

CraviottoWalnut.jpg

Craviotto Exotics Solid Walnut

CraviottoOak.jpg

Craviotto Exotics Solid Oak

CraviottoCherry.jpg

Craviotto Exotics Solid Cherry

CraviottoTTMaple.jpg

Craviotto Timeless Timber Solid Maple

CraviottoTTBirch.jpg

Craviotto Timeless Timber Solid Birch

Titanium.jpg

Titanium

NeilPeartCommemorative.jpg

Commemorative Neil Peart

SnakesArrowsAztecRed.jpg

Neil Peart Snakes and Arrows in Aztec Red with Gold Leaf

SnakesArrowsBubinga.jpg

Neil Peart Connoisseur Snakes and Arrows Bubinga with Sycamore

SnakesArrowsMaple.jpg

Neil Peart Connoisseur Snakes and Arrows Maple with Walnut

SnakesArrowsWalnut.jpg

Neil Peart Connoisseur Snakes and Arrows Walnut with Sycamore

DSC_0383.jpg

Neil Peart Time Machine

CraviottoTonyWilliams.jpg

Special Build for Tony Williams (Craviotto Solid Maple with 24 lugs)

TTEdge.jpg

Timeless Timber Maple Edge

Acrylic.jpg

Acrylic Prototype

I am curious of the history of the Buddy Rich snare.

Things like:

Does DW own the rights to anything Buddy Rich drum related?

Is this a 'signature; snare?

Lots of great pieces here. Many I would love to have, but none more than the acrylic and the titanium. The acrylic reminds me of my first drum ever, a blue Vistalite. And the titanium because I got to play one at the factory and instantly loved it.

Thanks for posting. Now I gotta go check ebay...

Very nice collection. Love the Neil Peart snares for the obvious reasons. :) That titanium snare has the look that all there drums and snares should have with the small lug. The tube in between doesn't have to be there, but that is the size of lug they should adapt. I would also like to give the walnut one a try. Why did you put a DW badge on it?

He says it is a Craviotto under the picture, but it has a DW badge. Maybe he just bought the shell.

Oh the Craviotto cherry is one that I'm thinking about in the near future. 6x14 heaven...

Skulmoski Very nice collection. Which one is your favourite and why? Thank you for your kind feedback. The favourite depends on the job. The Neil Peart Commemorative model is a heavy drum that is great for rock. It's loud and has a killer rimshot. The drum really cuts through and is very articulate. The timeless timber solid birch is a great all-rounder - warmth, sensitivity and a lot of finesse. The solid oak has a loud voice too but is very flexible - delicate ghostnotes but plenty of top-end when you need it.

Swiss Matthias Do eg. the various Neil Peart drums sound any different from each other? Hello. The drums from the Peart "Snakes and Arrows" series are all the same - 14 x 6.5 maple with VLT shell construction. The Time Machine model shares these specifications also. The commemorative model is different (see above). The Snakes and Arrows and Time Machine models are beautifully made but are, in essence, the same drum with a different finish. I hope that in the future DW doesn't get too carried away with doing variations of the same drum - kind of marketing gone mad, in my view. I have them in my collection because they fall under the "limited edition" criterion - I was also very lucky to strike a "once-in-a-lifetime" price for a bulk order that I could (surprisingly) afford.

sticks4drums I would also like to give the walnut one a try. Why did you put a DW badge on it? Hello. The walnut is a warm, dark sounding drum. Very nice. The walnut solid shell is from DW's "Craviotto Exotics" line of drums. These were made in the late 90s, before Johnny Craviotto started the drum company that bears his name. JC was commissioned by DW to produce some solid shell drums. These drums were produced in limited numbers and were available in maple, birch, oak, walnut and cherry, along with other, more rare, timbers. (Edge versions were also available.) The drums were available with DW's traditional turret lugs or the vintage tube style lugs. The "Exotics" drums were produced with 2 badges: a DW logo badge and a badge bearing JC's signature. I haven't modified any of the drums in this collection. They are all stock standard and original. I hope this answers your question. Thank you for your interest.

I am curious of the history of the Buddy Rich snare.

Things like:

Does DW own the rights to anything Buddy Rich drum related?

Is this a 'signature; snare?

Hello. The commemorative Buddy Rich snare drum was available as a special order drum for a limited time. There aren't many of these around. As to how and why Buddy's name became associated with DW, I don't really know for certain, so I won't speculate. There are people on this forum who are much better qualified to answer these types of questions than I am; sorry I can't help you there.

The Classics Buddy Rich models are also very hard to come by. I think these drums were released at the same time DW released their Classics line of drums, in 1996. When the Classics line was released, 3 kit configurations were available. One of the configurations was, confusingly, referred to as The Buddy Rich Commemorative set-up. These drums were released with special vintage MP finish, chopper drum hoops and Slingerland style lugs. A limited number of kits were released and some special order snares were made. The snares that came with the kits were available only in solid shell maple, 14 x 5.5. I hope this helps in some way.

great collection.. my standard questions to all snare collectors;

Which one is your favorite? ( If you could keep one one, which one )

.....and Why?

great collection.. my standard questions to all snare collectors;

Which one is your favorite? ( If you could keep one one, which one )

.....and Why?

Thanks for the interest and question. If I could only keep one? Probably the timeless timber birch solid. It is a sensitive drum that sounds great when mic'd up or "live". It is also a versatile and flexible drum that maintains its clarity and articulation tuned high or low. It has beautiful, warm and focused tones. It's a great all-rounder.

Back