Snare drum boom stand

johnwesley

Silver Member
Wondering if you ever used one and which might be best. By that I mean most solide without tipping when the boom is extended quite a ways. Taye makes one, but I'm not familiar with Taye's drums or hardware so don't know it's quality.

taye stand.jpg

I have 2 DW 9000 model stands and love them but need to extend the drum farther than their post allows.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I had not seen that before, but if you play with any real force, the stand will walk in the direction of the boom. Even stands with the basket slightly offset from the center post - which is 99% of them - will move a bit.

Why do you need to extend the snare away from the base? Is it for a snare, or a tom?

charliedrummer

I looked into this particular Taye stand a few years ago for an auxiliary snare. The reviews I read were mixed. Some complained that the ball and socket mechanism was prone to slipping. I would think that the stand would become unstable with the boom fully extended, especially if your snare has any significant weight to it.

single-ply

Wondering if you ever used one and which might be best. By that I mean most solide without tipping when the boom is extended quite a ways. Taye makes one, but I'm not familiar with Taye's drums or hardware so don't know it's quality.

View attachment 93702

I have 2 DW 9000 model stands and love them but need to extend the drum farther than their post allows.
The only thing I could see that being used for is as a tom holder for guys who prefer the small tom more centered. For use as an actual snare stand, it seems like a solution in search of a problem. For the three snares you show (at least the lower two), I agree that you should use rims mounts and attach off slightly beefier cymbal stands. Even with heavier cymbal stands, it seems that your hardware load would be lighter.

johnwesley

Silver Member
The only thing I could see that being used for is as a tom holder for guys who prefer the small tom more centered. For use as an actual snare stand, it seems like a solution in search of a problem. For the three snares you show (at least the lower two), I agree that you should use rims mounts and attach off slightly beefier cymbal stands. Even with heavier cymbal stands, it seems that your hardware load would be lighter.
Yeah. This is what I get for going "rogue" in my style of kit. Thanks for your response.

single-ply

Yeah. This is what I get for going "rogue" in my style of kit. Thanks for your response.
Not trying to knock your setup. Everyone has their own sound in their heads. I just always look at other' setups in terms of "would I haul that hardware case around?" Of course, my back is trash, so I go as light as possible.

I bet the three snares gives you a really unique sound. Absolutely nothing wrong with that!

J-W

Given the amount of hardware and the positioning, a rack would be a smart option for ........., a cleaner look, ........
Blasphemy! Why would anyone want a "cleaner look"?? The drums aren't some sort of "shrine" (uh....just ignore the periapts hanging off the BD). Besides, the hour he would spend getting everything positioned the same on a rack the first time around should be spent playing instead.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Blasphemy! Why would anyone want a "cleaner look"?? The drums aren't some sort of "shrine" (uh....just ignore the periapts hanging off the BD). Besides, the hour he would spend getting everything positioned the same on a rack the first time around should be spent playing instead.
Yeah, who'd want to improve everything anyway? Silly me... :)

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
On the left hand side of the pic, there appears to be a rack bar with clamp doing nothing. Can this be moved to the front and used for the snare?

Ransan

Ahh for some reason out of necessity I would love to try the ol Tama air ride snare system.

johnwesley

Silver Member
On the left hand side of the pic, there appears to be a rack bar with clamp doing nothing. Can this be moved to the front and used for the snare?
Snare is attached to that bar already. The V to V clamp is not long enough to move to front. The middle snare (tom) is the one I want to position a few more inches toward the one already mounted to the rack bar. Oh well it's not a BIG deal. Thanks for your response.

J-W

View attachment 93702

I'm confused (which happens easily) so I apologize in advance for all of the questions..... But you say you have 2 DW boom stands but I only see one snare on a boom. Am I not seeing it correctly or is that not a current pic? According to the pic, it doesn't look like it would take much of a boom to get that snare over your bass drum more since it appears to be on a straight stand. Or are you saying you have 2 of the DW stands, but can't use them whatsoever because of their limitations?
When you say you need to extend the drum farther than their post allows, do you mean the boom or the height? or both?
I ask because I've modified a few stands in my day and there are solutions to both issues, but I don't know your ability or willingness to alter your hardware.
As for Taye hardware, I had a friend who played their gear and it seemed to be of good quality. In fact, he switched from DW to Taye and was happy with the change. However, that was quite a few years ago and he's moved since, so I have no direct access to his or current stuff.

johnwesley

Silver Member
I'm confused (which happens easily) so I apologize in advance for all of the questions..... But you say you have 2 DW boom stands but I only see one snare on a boom. Am I not seeing it correctly or is that not a current pic? According to the pic, it doesn't look like it would take much of a boom to get that snare over your bass drum more since it appears to be on a straight stand. Or are you saying you have 2 of the DW stands, but can't use them whatsoever because of their limitations?
When you say you need to extend the drum farther than their post allows, do you mean the boom or the height? or both?
I ask because I've modified a few stands in my day and there are solutions to both issues, but I don't know your ability or willingness to alter your hardware.
As for Taye hardware, I had a friend who played their gear and it seemed to be of good quality. In fact, he switched from DW to Taye and was happy with the change. However, that was quite a few years ago and he's moved since, so I have no direct access to his or current stuff.
I'd like the middle drum to extend further over the bass, but the stand doesn't extend. Only the DW 9000 series extends, not really a boom. Has about 4" of play.

J-W

I understand what you're trying to do. I was just confused by the pic of the boom stand because for some reason I thought it was the DW9000 that you were referring to and thought "well it looks like what you have would get you there". See, I am easily confused. Now I see where you're coming from and what you're working with. Sorry for the confusion.
My concern with that Taye stand, now that I know that's a pic of it, is that the legs are likely going to be too small therefore unstable and it looks like it may not even get you to the height you require. I think you would be better off using what you have and adding a "grabber" to it.
Some options that come to mind are by Gibraltar that would allow you to use your exiting basket and boom it off of your existing stand.

The first being the SC-UGC.
SC-UGC.jpg
Another would be the SC-EA250
1593732729389.jpeg
But my top recommendation would be the SC-EA200 - I have one of these and the tube diameter of the top (pivot) portion is 1" so it should fit most stand leg bases.
1593734420524.jpeg
Here I removed the top portion and stuck it in an extra stand base of mine and boomed an extra basket/post off of it to show you exactly what you'd end up with at different heights.
1593735158730.jpeg

1593735188296.jpeg

johnwesley

Silver Member
I have 2 of the sc ea250s. One is holding the v clamp with the snare basket on the left. I think the sc ea200 is what I need. Thanks for the research