Snare choices...?

Axu

Hi, I have a chance of getting my hands on one of these two snares:
1: Ludwig 14 ''x6,5'' BB, Smooth shell, Imperial lugs
2: DW 14 ''x06'' Edge snare in Broken glass finish.

The hard part is the decision, I wanna hear your opinion. The general good points in each of these, please don't say that it's my choice, I know it is and I'm asking your opinion.

Thanks.

My opinion is the BB hands down.

I have a BB knock-off (Pearl Sensitone Elite Brass) and it's pretty sweet. I used to have a 6x14 DW Edge in black broken glass and I didn't like the sound much - even after trying different heads and tunings. It definitely had bite, but for me, it lacked character so once I figured out I didn't like the tone or body of it near as much as my Sensitone, I sold it.

I plan on upgrading my Pearl to a BB in the near-ish future (it's going to be my next drum acquisition).

Black Beauty...is the home run,everything else is a stand up double at best.Don't you just love sports analogies?

Steve B

Can I scream now! How in the #@%*%$ did I end up on the Ludwig forum? WOW!

However, as always hit 'em both and let your ear tell you.
This is very true. If you're going to be throwing down 6 bills for a snare, you'll want to convince yourself you're picking the right one. The only problem here is that the DW ships with way better heads so that may make doing an in-store comparison a little dicey. See if you can put an Ambassador batter AND snare side on the BB first, then play with the tuning on both drums to find their sweet spots. Then it'll be a fair comparison.

I think the choice will be clear once you've run thu that little exercise.

Back