Snare choice?

BEBDrummer

Hey, I traded in a guitar today at my local Music Go Round and I"m wanting to pick up a new snare with my store credit. I have $149 in credit. I am debating over the Slingerland for $99 as well as the Tama Imperialstar (80's?) for $149. Anyone have any suggestions, thoughts, or are there some major steals I am not seeing at $149 or lower? I'm looking for something that would be good at all tuning levels and that would work well for a rock setting. Here's the link.. https://www.musicgoround.com/products/greenfield-wi/PESN/snare-drums?page=2

Any thoughts on the World Max aluminum snare? I’ve never heard of the company before.

If I remember right World Max makes some of the shells that other companies use for their imported lines of snare drums. I think the Pork Pie black brass snare uses one of their shells and maybe the lower end ludwig brass snares. That Patina brass pork pie might even be a world max shell.

If your after an aluminum snare I’d go with the Acrolite over a World Max snare even if it’s a bit more money. It’s a well regarded snare drum. Same shell as the much revered Supraphonic but without the chrome coating and 8 lugs instead of 10. I have one that I take along to gigs as a backup for my Supra.

I'm just curious, and don't take this the wrong way, but do you always have this much trouble making decisions? Everyone of your threads is basically "What should I buy?".

I’m a gear novice. Really I am. I shouldn’t post so much about it but I’ve rediscovered a love of drumming and I’m actually playing out with a band. I ask so much because I’ve been burned with bad purchases. I bought a vintage kit 10 years ago and found out it wasn’t really what I bought. Someone rewrapped the drums and placed vintage badges on them. I went to sell them and got stung with a reality check that they weren’t what I thought. I need a couple of kits and snares for various reasons...church, band, Home etc... So much seems so overwhelming when it comes to buying stuff these days. I hear old names of companies like Tama and then see the same name on new stuff and it’s not the same as the past. Some stuff I’m just simply curious about. I hear things in the store and I can’t believe the price of things I don’t like the sound of. Other stuff I see seems cheaply priced but I like the sound. So yeah, I don’t take offense at all, just thankful for a sounding board but I should probably shut up and make a move.

No problem, just curious. Some people are indecisive, some don't know. It's all good, nothing wrong with gathering info.

If I were in your shoes I would stump up the little extra and go for the Acrolite or the Pork Pie Patina.

As an aside, it is my dream to find an Acrolite at that price. Over here in the UK they are much more expensive while on the other side of the pond they seem to be really common and lower priced as a result! I remember Rdavidr on YouTube bought his for a crazy price from a thrift store.

It will be my mission to bag an Acrolite next time I am stateside!

I'd go with the Pearl Masters. I play a Pearl MCX, and it's one of the best snares I've ever played.

Yamaha Stage Custom Steel 14x6.5 10 lug. Amazing snare for the money.

If I were in your shoes I would stump up the little extra and go for the Acrolite or the Pork Pie Patina.

As an aside, it is my dream to find an Acrolite at that price. Over here in the UK they are much more expensive while on the other side of the pond they seem to be really common and lower priced as a result! I remember Rdavidr on YouTube bought his for a crazy price from a thrift store.

It will be my mission to bag an Acrolite next time I am stateside!

Similar story here in Canada. Used Acrolites are uncommon and when they do show up they command top dollar. I bit the bullet and bought a brand-new one after negotiations for a second-hand drum fell through. I paid less for the new drum than the seller was asking for his beaten-up 70's model.

OP: I didn't follow the link provided so forgive me if it's a moot suggestion but the 6.5 x 14 Yamaha Stage Custom Steel snare is wicked good given how little they cost. I'm referring to the current generation drum - the model SSS1465. I paid $149 CDN for mine which is well under $120 US.

Similar story here in Canada. Used Acrolites are uncommon and when they do show up they command top dollar. I bit the bullet and bought a brand-new one after negotiations for a second-hand drum fell through. I paid less for the new drum than the seller was asking for his beaten-up 70's model.

OP: I didn't follow the link provided so forgive me if it's a moot suggestion but the 6.5 x 14 Yamaha Stage Custom Steel snare is wicked good given how little they cost. I'm referring to the current generation drum - the model SSS1465. I paid $149 CDN for mine which is well under $120 US.

Why are they rare in Canada? I thought you guys pretty much had the exact drum brand selection as here in the US.

Also, the Acros were handed out by the thousands along with Suras through the school system.

Back