Snare Buzz

MWS

Have a new Sonor Vintage 14x6.5 snare. I can’t get the snare buzz caused by the 10” mounted tom to go away. I‘ve tried adjusting the the tension on both heads. The snare sounds great but when I hit the 10” tom the buzz is bad!!! Any suggestions is much appreciated!! Thanks, MWS.

C.M. Jones

Buzz sometimes occurs when a snare and a neighboring tom are in competing frequency ranges. If you like the tunings of both drums as they are, I wouldn't worry about the buzz too much. You can mitigate it with minor adjustments, but some degree of buzz is natural. It's more of a nuisance behind the throne than it is to your listeners.

BruceW

Saw this thread, and hoped I'd find a miracle cure...didn't expect one :giggle:

I don't get too worked up about the buzz that I get while playing out, as someone mentioned no one out front hears it. But we're about to do some recording, and if that comes thru on the recordings, I'll be REALLY annoyed.

notvinnie

All you can do is increase the interval between the snare drum's batter head and the 10" tom. The tom needs to be lower than the snare. Also, the snare side head needs to be quite tight.

Al Strange

Saw this thread, and hoped I'd find a miracle cure...didn't expect one :giggle:

I don't get too worked up about the buzz that I get while playing out, as someone mentioned no one out front hears it. But we're about to do some recording, and if that comes thru on the recordings, I'll be REALLY annoyed.
Don’t worry, it shouldn’t...I’ve heard stories of guys hanging tea towels off the snare to mitigate buzz in the studio and all sorts of “tomfoolery”! 😁 Here’s some more ideas:

Mr Farkle

I like my tom very close to the snare so I get a lot of buzz. If I move it the buzz changes. you might try some different positions to see if there are any that help and work for your playing. Tom height seems to matter on my kit.

notvinnie

I like my tom very close to the snare so I get a lot of buzz. If I move it the buzz changes. you might try some different positions to see if there are any that help and work for your playing. Tom height seems to matter on my kit.
That's right, even the tom angle can have an effect.

MWS

Thanks everyone!!! I messed with the tuning today and got it a lot better. Tuned down a little on the 10” tom. Also loosened a little the batter rim lug closest to the snare on all three toms. That also helped quite a bit. It’s amazing what you can learn from the forums and YouTube!!
A little of my history. I played drums in school from 6th grade until I went in the Army in 1968. I was shot pretty badly in Vietnam in 1970 while with the 4th Infantry. I was medically retired on 7-7-71. Got out of Army, went to work, got married, have sons and grandchildren!! Still married to the same wonderful woman!! Will be 46 years in November!! About 12 years ago I decided to start playing again! Aways loved drums but didn’t have the time or money. Needless to say I love playing more than ever and have collected more equipment than any one person needs but who’s counting!! The Sonor Vintage was the first new set I ever purchased! I’ve purchased nine different sets over the last 12.5 years but only have three sets now!! Truly feel this Vintage is the best and last set I will get. The wife doesn’t believe it but I’m pretty certain of it!! I’ll be 70 next month but planning to never stop playing again while I’m still breathing!!
Thanks for your time!! Monte

Al Strange

Thanks everyone!!! I messed with the tuning today and got it a lot better. Tuned down a little on the 10” tom. Also loosened a little the batter rim lug closest to the snare on all three toms. That also helped quite a bit. It’s amazing what you can learn from the forums and YouTube!!
A little of my history. I played drums in school from 6th grade until I went in the Army in 1968. I was shot pretty badly in Vietnam in 1970 while with the 4th Infantry. I was medically retired on 7-7-71. Got out of Army, went to work, got married, have sons and grandchildren!! Still married to the same wonderful woman!! Will be 46 years in November!! About 12 years ago I decided to start playing again! Aways loved drums but didn’t have the time or money. Needless to say I love playing more than ever and have collected more equipment than any one person needs but who’s counting!! The Sonor Vintage was the first new set I ever purchased! I’ve purchased nine different sets over the last 12.5 years but only have three sets now!! Truly feel this Vintage is the best and last set I will get. The wife doesn’t believe it but I’m pretty certain of it!! I’ll be 70 next month but planning to never stop playing again while I’m still breathing!!
Thanks for your time!! Monte
Awesomeness my friend! 😎 (y)

JDFaulky

If you’re really happy with the sound of your snare, I would always tune the tom differently. I’d rather sacrifice the tone of my tom than my snare.

Typically what I do is just slightly tune the toms in question up or down until the buzz is dramatically toned down. So yeah you did the right thing. It’s tough to get rid of it completely so as long as it isn’t super annoying I’m cool with it.

MWS

That's exactly what I did thanks to the info from you folks!! When I started back playing I read the many different forums and reviews as I still do! Never to old to learn! Back in the 60's if you had Ludwigs and Zildjians you had it all!! Now days each manufacturer makes tons of different levels of equipment. The more you know the better off you are!! Love the sound of this set now!!

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Sage advice but I'll add my thoughts too. Snare buzz is a nuisance but if you eradicate all of it-it sounds a bit sterile. I have a 13/16/24 set up and with my 13 in snare's resonance harmonics is so close to tom buzz is always an issue. I found, besides heads being close in resonance, placement of tom and angle influence buzz-then I like to point my strainer towards offending tom because when I tighten tension knob it seems to reduce buzz better. My Sonor snare has adjustment knobs on both side so I actually point my butt plate and tighten it more so my strainer side I don't need much tension. But generally getting your wires centered and then adjusting head tensions so not so close to resonate like a tuning fork is the issue. But I experimented with dampening snare buzz and finally got rid of all of it-and dang I was so disappointed because it didn't sound like a drum LOL.