Snare butt keeps coming loose (or strainer or whatever I’m not the best with drum equipment)

Tazman53

The snare butt strainer thing comes loose after every 3 hits, eventually completely loosening causing the snares to fall, There’ll be a photo aswell, btw it’s a preowned Ashton kit

Attachments

• 4FE07F8E-977E-4184-A51E-F68F94139CB8.jpeg
    4FE07F8E-977E-4184-A51E-F68F94139CB8.jpeg
    71 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
That part is called a throwoff. The butt is the non mechanical part on the other side of the drum. By coming loose, do you mean the throwoff is disengaging (like the pic), or it won't hold the cord/strap that is attached to the snare wires?

That part is called a throwoff. The butt is the non mechanical part on the other side of the drum. By coming loose, do you mean the throwoff is disengaging (like the pic), or it won't hold the cord/strap that is attached to the snare wires?
It keeps disengaging, sorry about the bad technical terms I’ve only had an acoustic set for a bit. But yeah it keeps disengaging

It disengages in both directions so if I tape it it will keep it disengaged, unless you mean the snares

The throw off can only disengage one way. Is it possible to get video of the throw off failing?

Sounds like maybe you might have to tighten the wires up some. Don't forget to loosen the adjustment knob on the throw off before you tighten the wires also keep them centered, might have to do the but side too for that.

I'm not too familiar with this type of throwoff. I've only had the side action lever type. Regardless, there should be a spring in there that creates tension between the tension screw and the bottom of the face of the throwoff. The tension of the spring keeps the throwoff locked in the engaged position. Without it, the throwoff will just flop around like a fish out of water.

If you disassemble the throwoff (it's easy), the spring should be around the tension screw. If no spring, any compression spring (think shock absorber) that fits in the assembly should work as long as it has a decent return (not too hard to compress).

Again, I've no experience with this type of throwoff, but typically you disassemble it by loosening the tension screw until it unthreads. The face should then slide off.

I'm not too familiar with this type of throwoff. I've only had the side action lever type. Regardless, there should be a spring in there that creates tension between the tension screw and the bottom of the face of the throwoff. The tension of the spring keeps the throwoff locked in the engaged position. Without it, the throwoff will just flop around like a fish out of water.

If you disassemble the throwoff (it's easy), the spring should be around the tension screw. If no spring, any compression spring (think shock absorber) that fits in the assembly should work as long as it has a decent return (not too hard to compress).

Again, I've no experience with this type of throwoff, but typically you disassemble it by loosening the tension screw until it unthreads. The face should then slide off.
The throw off is on the other side of the snare (if I’m correct but hey im not good with this stuff) as far as I’m aware it’s completely fine, if I was able to send a video of the thing falling I would, the only thing is that it keeps falling when it’s engaged and when it’s disengaged its mostly fine, I don’t won’t to keep playing st anger so I might just take it to my closest drum store as I can’t find any way to fix it.

Also these are how far away the snares are when engaged

Attachments

• B79B646D-E509-422E-A710-A989BA2B60C6.jpeg
    B79B646D-E509-422E-A710-A989BA2B60C6.jpeg
    77.2 KB · Views: 9
The pic looks like throw off and beside it the round circular tension adjustment knob-it could be too loose or tight. Did you do adjust or change anything lately?

Oh from pic. Too loose tighten knob tilll wires touch head-whack on it to listen for sympathetic buzz from toms-so you may need to tighten more-but you don't want to choke it. Without tension of wires on head the throw off won't stay. Hmmmm it could be straps loose and it slid. If that's the case back off tension knob then pulll straps taut and tighten it up (make sure wires are centered)-then tighten knob so wires touch head.

Last edited:
The throw off is on the other side of the snare (if I’m correct but hey im not good with this stuff) as far as I’m aware it’s completely fine, if I was able to send a video of the thing falling I would, the only thing is that it keeps falling when it’s engaged and when it’s disengaged its mostly fine, I don’t won’t to keep playing st anger so I might just take it to my closest drum store as I can’t find any way to fix it.

The thing in the first picture is a throwoff. If it doesn't have a spring (or it's worn out), it won't stay latched. Gravity will keep it in the disengaged position. Getagrippa is right, the round thing is the tension screw. You might have some kind of modified snare with 2 throwoffs. Stranger things have happened.

Anyhow, this is what the snare butt looks like:

618BJGi4XVL._SY550_.jpg

It only holds the strap, it doesn't move at all.

Oh from pic. Too loose tighten knob tilll wires touch head-whack on it to listen for sympathetic buzz from toms-so you may need to tighten more-but you don't want to choke it. Without tension of wires on head the throw off won't stay. Hmmmm it could be straps loose and it slid. If that's the case back off tension knob then pulll straps taut and tighten it up (make sure wires are centered)-then tighten knob so wires touch head.
I’ve had a look and the knob is tightened to Max (like usual) and the strap for the first pic are actually too far back, I’ve tried to pull them forward and tighten the thing that keeps them in place but to no avail, I’ll keep trying to tighten the strap cheers

The thing in the first picture is a throwoff. If it doesn't have a spring (or it's worn out), it won't stay latched. Gravity will keep it in the disengaged position. Getagrippa is right, the round thing is the tension screw. You might have some kind of modified snare with 2 throwoffs. Stranger things have happened.

Anyhow, this is what the snare butt looks like:

View attachment 88351

It only holds the strap, it doesn't move at all.
My bad, but this was the problem, I tightened it (it was surprisingly loose) and it fixed it, I’m never getting a preowned snare again before checking this, but it didn’t have a spring so I’m not sure it doesn’t look like it has a spot for one, anyway thanks for your help

I would set the screw half way and then set the snare wires. That way you can tighten or loosen as needed.

My bad, but this was the problem, I tightened it (it was surprisingly loose) and it fixed it, I’m never getting a preowned snare again before checking this, but it didn’t have a spring so I’m not sure it doesn’t look like it has a spot for one, anyway thanks for your help

Cool, glad you got it figured and was something simple.

Once again DW saves the day! Between forum and all videos an encyclopedic cornucopia of drum related info. Normally you have to pay for good advice but not with Bernhard.88359

Back