Snappy tom ?

steverok

Silver Member
Hey everyone,

I recently picked up a small, used set of drums in great condition from eBay. I spent yesterday cleaning them and installing new heads. Everything sounds really good, except the 10" tom has, I think, too much "snap" to it. Like, when I play the drums, every time I hit that one, I hear more of the snap sound than the body of the drum. I did notice the bottom hoop on this tom may be a bit warped, meaning, it didn't fit that great around the bottom head, and I had to jam it in there a bit. It was like that with the used head that I removed, as well. For reference, they are maple drums with re-rings, and I installed clear Ambassadors on bottom and clear Emperors on top. Any advice is appreciated.

Steve-O

dtrushr30dw

Sounds interesting. I would buy a new rim and see if that does anything. try tuning it and messing around with it. If you dont have a tensionwatch get one cause they help a lot with issues like that. Check the edges of the drums to see if they are uneven or damaged. Hope this helps. :)

Jon B

It might just be that the head hasn't pulled out of the glue ring yet, let it stretch for a while. Also, you might look into coated emperors, they have more body but less attack. What kind of drums are they specifically? You might also mess around with the tuning, just experiment.

@dtrushr30dw: A fellow Hoosier! You're the first Ive seen on here, thought it was pretty interesting.

steverok

Silver Member
It might just be that the head hasn't pulled out of the glue ring yet, let it stretch for a while. Also, you might look into coated emperors, they have more body but less attack. What kind of drums are they specifically? You might also mess around with the tuning, just experiment.

@dtrushr30dw: A fellow Hoosier! You're the first Ive seen on here, thought it was pretty interesting.
I hope you are right. I have the clear Emperors on a 10" tom on another kit, and I don't hear this effect on that one. They are Premier Signia.

Last edited:

steverok

Silver Member
Hey, whoever is interested, I ended up putting a coated Ambassador on the 10" tom, and it sounds much better. I guess some drums just like certain heads better than others. I also noticed this drum needs to be tuned up higher than a similar birch drum I own.

Anyway, these Signia's are pretty sweet. It's a 22x16 kick with 10", 12", and 14" rack toms. I hope to find a matching 16x16 floor tom some day. They are not super loud, but they are very full, smooth, warm, and musical sounding. OK, time to fire up some Steely Dan records and groove ...