snap,crack and pop

joeysnare

Silver Member
i just bought a pearl firecracker 12 x 5 snare as a secondary effects snare,ive already tried the pearl protone skins it was sent with, remo ambassidor,and an evens genera dry and i still am not getting the sound i want. any skin recommendations to make this thing as sensitive and snapy as possible?

The single ply ambassador should be fine, just tune her up nice and tight, You might wanna check out some different snare wires if your still not getting the sound your looking for but the you should be able to get a nice tone w/ out replacing them.

I had a problem with my DW 10x6, I was getting too much drum and not enough snares. Eventually I found the sound I was looking for by putting a 20 strand snare wire on as well as an Evans EC1 Clear as a batter. Sounds great now. Just make sure the tuning is good and the snares aren't too loose or too tight.

im just wondering will changing from plastic tabs to strings to hold the snare on help the sound any? this is the first snare ive ever bought that have these plastic tabs on it.

Well, what kind of sound are you trying to get? Normally for a side-snare sound, there will be a single-ply coated head (for more attack) tuned medium-high to high. Try tightening the snare-side head to get more snare response (and less of a mushy sound).

Straps vs cables for snares - there's not that much of a difference. You'll get a little bit better contact with cables, but they'll chew up your snare beds. Also, don't overtighten your snares. It'll gate the snare-side head and can actually make the drum quieter. You might even want to try getting a new snare-side head - I recommend the Remo Hazy Ambassador and Aquarian Classic Clear (be sure they're both snare-side heads, which are 2-to-3-mil single-ply heads)

Also, make sure both heads are tuned evenly. Tap around the head about an inch inward from each tension rod, and tune each spot to the same pitch. That helps more than most people think, since it will rid the drum of bad overtones almost completely.

Hope that helps!

lol belive me i know how to tune , my teacher would kill me if i didnt. im just looking for suggestion for the most sensetive batter and resonant combo i can find. experimenting costs too much money lol.

You'd want a really thin reso head, like dwsabianguy said. a Hazy 200 from evans is as thin as you get, a single ply 2mil. And for the batter a single ply like the remo ambassador or even the Evand power center reverse dot would do well.

Back