Smallest way to pack a double pedal?

Doraemon

I occasionally travel with my pedals and would like to put them inside a larger suitcase or fit them next to a few bags, but the hard case they came with is massive and also quite heavy. What's the smallest footprint I can achieve safely? Maybe putting them in those wedge shaped single cases and find a little corner for each? (Tama makes those, a bit too expensive.) Or just tie the beater down and wrap it in a T-shirt? Should I worry about the pedals or stuff next to them? Is there maybe a slim nylon bag you'd recommend? (Speed Cobra size)

Last edited:
When the hardcase of my Tama Iron Cobra 'broke' (the closing clips didn't work anymore and had to use a belt to keep it closed) i replaced it with a Tama pedal bag. Upside is that it's really lighter and more easy to haul around.

tama-powerpad-double-pedal-bag.jpg

My DW5k's came in a very similar bag. With COVID, I haven't had a chance to use it, but the setup is the same as the one shown in the pic. Very useful & protects well.

I liked the pedal bags, but hate removing beaters and connecting bar. I typically disconnect one end of the bar and put the pedals at each end of my hardware case on top of other hardware. No issues, nothing gets bent or beat up.

*Edited to add, I prefer as few cases/bags as possible which is why even though I could simply disconnect the springs and use a pedal bag, using my hardware case reduces the volume of space used in my vehicle. My throne and stick bag also go in the hardware case, even though it makes the case heavier overall. Thankfully it has a telescopic handle and wheels.

Last edited:
I use an overnight bag and leave the beaters in and don't zip it shut. I have a hard case where I can leave the beaters in as well but it's heavy and takes up space. I only use the hard case if stuff is going in the trailer for away gigs. My Mapex Falcon double pedal came with a soft case but you still have to take the beaters out. The overnight bag is easiest for me if they're staying with me in my car.

With the hard case I have and the soft one on the pic above the beaters stay and you just take the spirng off. Why do you need to remove the beaters, can’t lay them on the pedal board this way or other reasons?

With the hard case I have and the soft one on the pic above the beaters stay and you just take the spirng off. Why do you need to remove the beaters, can’t lay them on the pedal board this way or other reasons?
You take the beaters off so you’re not stretching springs in transit. In the old days I’d unattached the S-hook so I could fold up the pedal. But with pedals on plates, I take the beater out. DW beaters have that little memory lock for the beater so I just slip the beater back in and I’m good to go.

Back